icon

buying amps need input

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
gcorrea 
Silver - Posts: 436
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 03, 2004 at 8:17 PM / IP Logged  
i want to upgrade my amps but cant seem to make up my mind about a specific brand, because every day i hear something different from everyone. i am using two 12 inch kicker comp vrs dual 2ohm voice coils. im currently using two coustic amp460 250watt rms mono at 4 ohms. ive had these amps since i was in high school and never had a problem with them im now 31 years old and still pounding. none of the amps today have the reliability of the original old school amps,or power. my wife is a sales manager at best buy so that means i can get a real good discount on rockford fosgate, but i dont want discount to be my choice for that brand. ive also heard good things about power acoustik like alot of watts for the buck, and 1 ohm stable on their mono blocks, same goes for hifonics. i want about 400-450 watts rms to each kicker. mtx and phoenix gold sound good too but cost a little more than i want to spend on two amps. anyone have any input or suggestions on what amps to get. thank you.
gcorrea
pimpincavy 
Silver - Posts: 880
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 03, 2004 at 8:51 PM / IP Logged  
I have a older power acoustick amp and I have ever had a problem with it. I cant vouch for the newer stuff though. They ted to overrate their wattage to, although not to the extent some companys do. Hifonics makes some killer amps, specifically the brutus, but at 1500W, it might be more then you need. However, im sure you could find a lower powered hifonics amp that would work well for you.
styper 
Member - Posts: 25
Member spacespace
Posted: August 03, 2004 at 9:11 PM / IP Logged  
I have had Rockford for a while, I used to have a Punch 150 back in 1995, now I have a Rockford 800.2, the old punch was built better, however the new rockford is good, and if I could get a deal on Rockford I would go with Rockford, I believe they are still made in the USA.
S type R.
xtreamcc 
Silver - Posts: 467
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 03, 2004 at 9:15 PM / IP Logged  
I'm using a power acoustik amp to power a Rockford 12 while waiting till I can afford a new amp and sub. I have had no problems with this amp and it pushes this sub hard but stable. I'd personally say go with a Power Acoustik mono block over anything Rockford has. All the RF stuff is really get'n away from their older and more reliable Punches.
PS: The HiFonics Brutus comes in 500, 1000 or 1500 watt models
"Shiny chrome when used in conjunction with bikini models is particularly effective in inducing brain deficit disorder"
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Monster System on its way.
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: August 03, 2004 at 9:32 PM / IP Logged  
I cant believe I am hearing Power Acoustic suggested over Rockford. I sell Power Acoustic DVD players, screens and head units and have so far been unimpressed by there quality. I also sell Rockford, and while its true they arent anything like there old stuff they are still a more reliable product than what I would think the Power Acoustic stuff is. While I dont have experience with there amps, if there quality control is on the same par as their mobile video products than I would have to say I am unimpressed.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
xtreamcc 
Silver - Posts: 467
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 03, 2004 at 10:16 PM / IP Logged  
Dont get me wrong Raven, I love Rockford, I've used their subs for as long as I've been doing car audio and have never failed to be impressed. I dont, however, like their amps. They dont really push enough power for my tastes. I was only suggesting that if he got a mono block from Best Buy (where he was talk'n about get'n his stuff for the discount) that he get a power acoustik because none of the rockford mono blocks that are worth a crap (like the 1500.1bd or the 1000.1bd) are sold at best buy. Anyway, power acoustiks video products are crap, that goes w/o saying, but I have used a couple of their amps and haven't been disappointed. Anyway, just clear'n things up a bit, dont want people to think I dont love my rockfords now buying amps need input -- posted image.
"Shiny chrome when used in conjunction with bikini models is particularly effective in inducing brain deficit disorder"
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Monster System on its way.
robbyrob717 
Copper - Posts: 53
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 04, 2004 at 1:12 AM / IP Logged  
hifonics is a great amp. always has been and will be as far as i can see. i've seen those amps play loud in cars for years. very good name. rockford is nice too. they may have more available in your wattage range. and power acoustik has been improving but i would go with rockford or hifonics over it. but all would sound good.
94 Pontiac Sunbird 3.1 V6
alpine deck
audiobahn 3.5 fronts w/ tweeters
audiobahn 6.5 rears w/ tweeters
* sold rest of system to save up towards new car. $3000 spent on it.
robbyrob717 
Copper - Posts: 53
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 04, 2004 at 1:15 AM / IP Logged  
also i would say audiobahn but i think its like a curse word here. o well i think your best bet will be rockford fosgate.
94 Pontiac Sunbird 3.1 V6
alpine deck
audiobahn 3.5 fronts w/ tweeters
audiobahn 6.5 rears w/ tweeters
* sold rest of system to save up towards new car. $3000 spent on it.
gcorrea 
Silver - Posts: 436
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 04, 2004 at 6:01 PM / IP Logged  
thanks for the input but as you can see everyone has their loyalty towards a specific brand. i guess like the old saying goes seeing is believing or in this case hearing, maybe then i can make a choice. till then my coustics should keep on working. thanks guys.
gcorrea
2002sportside 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: August 04, 2004 at 7:13 PM / IP Logged  

I have no brand loyalty.  One car has an Alpine deck, Kenwood amp, and MTX sub.  It works but I know I need to upgrade.  The other car (the toy) has a Panasonic deck, Planet Audio amp, PPI components, and a Rockford Fosgate sub.  With that said I would go with the Hifonics over Power Acoustik.  Right now if I were buying amps I'd consider RF, Hifonics and maybe Orion, Soundstream, and Phoenix Gold... but I need to do more research on them.  I've always been an RF fan but I think the Hifonics offers more bang for the buck, especially since you can't get RF's Power series amps with her discount.

Keep researching it until you decide what you want. 

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic