icon

mre power to the altenator

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
dave25456 
Copper - Posts: 72
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 06, 2004 at 8:07 AM / IP Logged  
I am new in the game and want to know how to carry more power to the altenator ?thanx for the info
dave25456
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 06, 2004 at 8:29 AM / IP Logged  
The alternator PRODUCES your power.  The alternator that came with your car can only produce so much and you cannot increase this.  If you need more current due to adding a large audio system, you will need to purchase a high-output alternator and probably also upgrade the power and ground cables for the alternator and battery.
Support the12volt.com
ice4life8269 
Copper - Posts: 112
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 06, 2004 at 8:38 AM / IP Logged  
D, what about changing the rectifier bridge? i know changing the whole alternator would be more efficient, but i think you can make the factory one put out more juice by changing the bridge. i think there are even companys the do it for you if you send them your alt.
Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 06, 2004 at 8:44 AM / IP Logged  
you can do that, but there un reliable that way, and often time's, companys wont warranty there work because of that, ,  besides , , you can only squeeze another 20 amps or so.
2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 06, 2004 at 9:17 PM / IP Logged  
actually, the rectifier bridge has NOTHING to do with how much current the alternator will produce. it does nothing but rectify the outpur current from the stator, which is wound with larger wire, and the rotor is conversely wound with more windings of smaller wire, but fed with higher voltage from the regulator. all an alternator is, is a mechanical transformer, and follows all of the same rules that a transformer follows. You MUST get an alternator rewound if you want more out of it.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
flynntech 
Copper - Posts: 275
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 07, 2004 at 6:18 AM / IP Logged  

There is probably at least one alternator/starter rebuild shop somewhere around.

Tell them what you need and they should take care of it.

chevyman26 
Copper - Posts: 227
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 07, 2004 at 7:31 AM / IP Logged  
Whatever you do, make sure you get a warrenty with it, because this is a component that if one little thing goes wrong, then not just your stereo is dead, but your whole car is too. And to have to buy a new alternator AGAIN at anywhere from $75 to $300 (depending on the size and application) really sucks. Make sure it's a reputable shop or company who will back their work.
You'd better get me out of this lord... or else you'll have me to deal with. -- Hunter S. Thompson "F.A.L.I.L.V."
dave25456 
Copper - Posts: 72
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 07, 2004 at 8:05 PM / IP Logged  
have little money to play with so perfer to do  it  myself any ideas will be appreciated.thanx.
dave25456
ragtoplvr 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: August 07, 2004 at 11:27 PM / IP Logged  

Alternators with a Star connected stator, and a 6 rectifier bridge, will make a little more current if a diode pair is added at the star point, as in all late model Fords, many others.  It does not impact reliability IF PROPERLY DONE.  The gain is about 10% to 15%  Delta contected stators do not benefit from extra diodes at all current wise, allthough reliability may be increased by a lower average voltage drop across paralleled diodes.

Rod

Rod

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic