icon

2002 Chevy Tahoe Passlock II Problem

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Trav3D1 
Copper - Posts: 146
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 06, 2004 at 6:54 PM / IP Logged  

Just installed a APS-996A on a 2002 Chevy Tahoe with a DEI 555L module to bypass the factory alarm system.  After making all connections, learning the R-code, and learning the tach wire, the remote start does not work.

I have followed the troubleshooting tips for the 555L module, which indicate that the factory alarm is now in the "Long Tamper Mode".  After waiting 10 minutes as indicated, the factory key doesn't start the vehicle.

The vehicle currently starts, and then quickly dies (with the factory key).

Any suggestions???????  Thanks in advance........

Trav
sroth140 
Silver - Posts: 513
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 07, 2004 at 2:20 AM / IP Logged  

well to get the vehicle starting at all... put the passlock back to factory condition.  roll down the windows so you can get out.  get in, shut the doors and turn the key to ign.  let it set for more like 30min if the light is still blinking.  when it finishes (if it does) take the key out, wait a few seconds, and try to start it.  if that doesnt work unhook the battery (both ends) for about 30min and then try the above method for about 10min of blinking.

once you get it to start with the key, take apart the plastic around the steering column.  find the passlock II 3 wire harness by the key cyl. and see if you were using the same wires farther down.  chances are you grabbed the R code wire and not the right ground, or vice-versa.  if you didi it wrong, grab them up at that harness and solder them.

MECP certified installer
Trav3D1 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 07, 2004 at 8:03 AM / IP Logged  

Thanks for the suggestions.  After I posted the message, I just happen to try a trick that I learned during my Circuit City installation days, disconnect the battery terminals.  That worked, and I was able to start the vehicle with the factory key.

I did happen to identify the 3-Passlock II wires, after slightly removing the plastic case around the steering column, but I can honestly say that I did not carefully trace the wires down to the area where I grabbed them.  I think it's safe to say that the RED / white, and the yellow wires are correct, but I do believe that I saw more than one black wire.

I will retrace my wires carefully and reattempt to learn the R-code.  Thanks again.....I'll let you know how it comes out and any other suggestions will be appreciated as well.

Trav
Trav3D1 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 09, 2004 at 2:37 PM / IP Logged  

Does anyone specifically remember the colors for the Passlock II wires.  I would like to verify.  After taking the plastic case from around my steering column, my wires were RED / white, ORANGE / black, and yellow.

I plan on taking a look at the vehicle again today, but if my memory serves me correct, the 555L instructions had me tap into a black wire, none of which are at my key cylinder.

Trav
NowYaKnow 
Gold - Posts: 1,217
Gold spacespace
Posted: August 09, 2004 at 5:12 PM / IP Logged  
On 2002 trucks the color would be ORANGE / black. On 2003+ it's a black wire. You want to tap into the ORANGE / black wire instead of a black wire.
Mike
foxhound 
Member - Posts: 37
Member spacespace
Posted: August 09, 2004 at 7:11 PM / IP Logged  

I made my connections literally 1 inch after the key cylinder. I am wondering if my remote start will work because there is some type of box between the key cylinder and the bcm and I am hoping that thats not where the R is set because I tapped in before that. Anyone know?

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic