icon

Fiberglassing Tip

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
vdubmk4 
Copper - Posts: 175
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 10, 2004 at 10:58 PM / IP Logged  

In the first stage of my box I was tryin to lay down the fiberglass mat and resin onto nonstick aluminum foil with some Pam on it, wow super slick shiat. Anywho the stuff wasnt stickin on the vertical surfaces for nuthin so i put some regular maskin tape on random spots and then glassed and it worked awesome! and was wicked easy comming off.

Just thought id share my moment of joy.

Fortune: You will continue to take chances, and be glad you did.
donnie5336 
Copper - Posts: 52
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 10, 2004 at 11:17 PM / IP Logged  
did the FG stick to the masking tape at all?  I'm about to try to FG a box and I was told to use masking tape all over the area that I want my box to fit in.  Should I use aluminum foil under the tape so that the FG doesnt penetrate the tape?
Donnie
ice4life8269 
Copper - Posts: 112
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 11, 2004 at 6:09 AM / IP Logged  

the resin won't normally penetrate the tape, as long as you use the blue stuff (other tape may work, but i only used the blue stuff...) also, you gotta make sure the tape is smooth. ie, make sure there are no wrinkles/creases in it...

dub, glad to here it worked for you... post pics man

vdubmk4 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 11, 2004 at 8:47 AM / IP Logged  

Donnie, i layed down a layer of blue painters tape and used paper grocery bags to cover the big areas so i dint have to use as much tape. Then i layed down a layer of non-stick aluminum foil used spray adhesive. The foil/pam combo was tooo slick to lay glass on vertical surfaces so i used normal maskin tape in some spots to give it some grip. The maskin tape came right off the aluminum foil when i pulled the box and also the box had no prob in the rest of the area that i left straight foil. It took about 5 min of sanding to get the maskin tape off the fiberglass.

That help ya ?

donnie5336 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 11, 2004 at 11:49 AM / IP Logged  
yea thanks, i can get the tape off the box but i just wanted to make sure the resin wasnt going to go through and ruin the backs of my seats or the side panels.  thanks.
Donnie
donnie5336 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 11, 2004 at 11:56 AM / IP Logged  
did the foil leave creases on the box or did you get all the wrinkles out of the foil when you laid it in?  also, did you say you put spray adhesive on teh back of the foil so it would stick to your tape/paper bag layer?
Donnie
donnie5336 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 11, 2004 at 11:56 AM / IP Logged  
did the foil leave creases on the box or did you get all the wrinkles out of the foil when you laid it in?  also, did you say you put spray adhesive on teh back of the foil so it would stick to your tape/paper bag layer?
Donnie
vdubmk4 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 11, 2004 at 12:07 PM / IP Logged  
There were very smalls creases only where peices of foil met and in the corners where three sides met, other than that it was smooth. And yes i used spray adhesive to apply the foil to the tape/paper layer, it worked great, just make sure you spray both the paper/tape layer and the foil b4 applying.
destin 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: August 12, 2004 at 12:46 AM / IP Logged  
Has anyone ever tried using that sh*t at hardware stores its called like "Goop off" or some sh*t, used for removing stuff like tape and labels and stuff? I wanted to try it but forgot it last time i was at the store.
donnie5336 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 12, 2004 at 4:55 AM / IP Logged  
i got some "goof off"  if thats what ur talkin about.  I've never used it for that but i bet it'll work.. it got like 5 year old dry paint of some hardwood floors in my house.  it takes some scrubbing though but it seems to work on anything.  it also got the glue and sticky goop off my windows where some stickers were. its real strong though so try a small spot first and make sure it doesnt screw somethin up.
Donnie

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic