icon

Sealed box, driver point in, drawbacks?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
beady 
Copper - Posts: 65
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 18, 2004 at 12:53 PM / IP Logged  

Are there any drawbacks, besides cosmetic, to mounting a driver in a sealed enclosure so that the frame and magnet are out of the enclosure and the cone fires into the enclosure?  Want to have a very low profile enclosure and don't want it to be as deep as the driver if I can help it.

It would seem you have less area to radiate sound from when mounted like this?

Thanks,

Mike

Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 19, 2004 at 11:10 AM / IP Logged  

It won't make any difference.

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

beady 
Copper - Posts: 65
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 19, 2004 at 3:21 PM / IP Logged  
Steven Kephart wrote:

It won't make any difference.

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

Thanks, I was thinking it would be OK.

Now I just have to figure out how to make a "grill" for the inverted driver...... the goal is as much a "stealth" install as I can get.  The inverted driver lets me make the enclosure lower in profile.  The only halfway decent idea I've had so far is to put a large bowl over the driver, then use my Dremel to cut away most of the plastic leaving some "ribs" to support grill cloth stretched over it.

Any other ideas on how to "disguise" the motor structure of teh driver that will be exposed?

Thanks,

Mike

PS: Thanks moderators/admin

/r7 
Silver - Posts: 340
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 19, 2004 at 7:43 PM / IP Logged  
i'd say find some sort of metal rings that come in any size, or machine or find someone to do up a few rings in different sizes, use them for the shape of the cone that will cover the driver, use screen mesh you find in doors, and wrap it around, and if you want stealth i dont know if carpet would cause heat build up on the driver, but the rest should work, hth

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic