icon

finally Finished amp rack

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
civicdetailer 
Copper - Posts: 51
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 16, 2004 at 9:45 PM / IP Logged  
thats hot.. now just make some kind of rack for your optima finally Finished amp rack - Page 2 -- posted image.
leftyrev 
Member - Posts: 22
Member spacespace
Posted: September 17, 2004 at 8:29 AM / IP Logged  

Thanks for the feedback ....... the sub enclosure was made by making a mold of the inside trunk wall with fiberglass , i forget how many layers but it 1\2 inch thick on the flat sections and almost as thick on the curved , this mold had alot of curves . after drying  i cut to the shape i wanted ,then i wrapped the mold with a thick Polar Fleece  , then after drying i sanded and added a thick layer of Duraglass and sanded again , then i added a layer of Rage Gold  Body filler and sanded , i then made a 50\50 mixture of Rage gold and Resin and added MEKP as if the mixture was all resin ,then i coated the Enclosure to get a smooth and pin hole free surface  . after that i made a mixture of   Aerosil-Cabosil ( wich is like a filler talc) and resin , to make  a thick gel like mixture ,  and i coated the entire inside of the enclosure , this step made the walls thicker and more rigid and it also would fill any pinholes that might have been in the enclosure where the fleece met the fiberglass mold then i sanded and sanded and sanded ( you get the picture lol) until it was ready to primer . i used SEMS High Build Primer in a can then sanded for Paint . its was a bitch to get ready to paint i think on my next project im using Vinyl lololol .

the amp rack was less complicated as it is just for looks the frame was made of MDF and then covered in Polar Fleece then used Rage gold ,and then the Rage Gold and Resin Mixture  

keep the comments  coming guys

leftyrev 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 17, 2004 at 8:37 AM / IP Logged  

oops forgot to add that after the covering with fleece it was resined .  ( just  for the new guys looking for info , I dont want to confuse anybody)  

also i mounted the sub ring with 4 -  1" x 1" wood pegs that were left inside the enclosure i figured that would add to the rigidity of the entire enclosure

it sounds great and looks good , now  i have a neat trunk with lots of room to carry stuff  wich was my goal

HottAccord 
Silver - Posts: 247
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 17, 2004 at 10:24 AM / IP Logged  
I just got my shipment of Aerosil/Cabosil mix from US Composites (5 qrts), I cant wait to finish another project I started (another mold in the driver's rear left corner of my hoopty/beater).  It sure beats trying to add layers of glass on the inside.  So much easier to mix up some resin/cabosil and pour it in and get a nice air tight seal inside the enclosure.  I'll have some pics this weekend!!
Im a fiberglass whore!!
phatx96xaccord 
Copper - Posts: 118
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 17, 2004 at 10:44 PM / IP Logged  
hey man, the trunk is looking good.  Are those infinity kappa 6x9"s in the rear deck? I was curious on how you think they sound.
would u like your chicken original or extra crispy?
leftyrev 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 17, 2004 at 11:07 PM / IP Logged  
these to tell you the truth i dont like much  .i forget the model number but thery are last years model . they are the 3 way type and come  with a crossover unit thats seperated from the speaker .  the mids sound a little rough on them . but with my EQ i tone them down a bit ,  i had the infinity Kappas form 2 models ago that sounded better . plan to upgrade
phatx96xaccord 
Copper - Posts: 118
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 17, 2004 at 11:22 PM / IP Logged  
i bought 2 pairs of the infinity kappa 3 ways for a total of 240, which was a good deal.  i only have one pair hooked up right now, plan on doin some mods with fiberglass on the door panels for the other 2. i anticipated the speakers to sound a little better than they do, although i think they sound good for rock n' roll, i think the bass response is a little weak.  I originally bought the polk db series 6by9s, but i sent them back, a tweeter was broke when i got them.  i bought a orion 4channel amp for the kappa.  ill be running 100 watt each.  they might sound better since they will be getting better power. with the weather im running out of time, the temp is starting to drop.  im currently glassin 4 door panels, and the rear deck.  i like to glass the head liner some time too, probably have to wait till spring now.  and i like to do the plastic dash trim in fiberglass, it will be fun...right...   but when this is done, alll together not counting subwoofers, ill have 10 speakers in my 96 accord.  it will be interesting.
would u like your chicken original or extra crispy?
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic