icon

narrow car amp suggestions?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
fossilfool 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: September 20, 2004 at 2:34 PM / IP Logged  

I have to fit an amp into a very tight space, because I'm working on audio for bicycles.

It seems like the only amps available in narrow sizes are crappy amps. I used a Soundstorm 95 watt 2 channel amp for two years until it failed on me. Then I replaced it with a Boss Chaos 150 amp. The nice thing about the Boss is that it was very narrow -- only 5.5" wide.  All the other good quality amps are wider, it seems.

I'd like to go with a good quality amp -- do you know any that are as narrow as the Boss?

I'm trying to push 4 6" speakers. They are 60 watt speakers from Blaupunkt.

Thanks,

Paul

By the way, check out www.fossilfool.com/soul-cycle/soul-cycle.htm for pictures of the bike audio stuff.

94legend 
Silver - Posts: 237
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 20, 2004 at 2:45 PM / IP Logged  
Its amazing, what they come up with every day. Thats an awesome hobby there fossilfool. I would have to say try an apline, mtx, maybe fosgate. thos are the only ones i can remember with small size amps such as the RF 501s.
fossilfool 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 20, 2004 at 3:01 PM / IP Logged  

Hey thanks for the tips, but all the amps I saw from Alpine, MTX, and RF are at least 10" wide.

Got any more tips? Are there amps I could make smaller by taking them out of the protective cases?

Also, how bad is it to use the Boss 200 watt amp for 4 6" speakers?

Thanks,

Paul

Chad7n7 
Silver - Posts: 408
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 20, 2004 at 3:07 PM / IP Logged  
Also Planet Audio makes a 120W amplifier that is pretty narrow. They are pretty good amps.
fossilfool 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 20, 2004 at 3:20 PM / IP Logged  

The Planet audio amp looks good, but it's 7" wide, and I need to stay under 6"

Thanks though.  Any other narrow amps?

12-volt_guy 
Copper - Posts: 53
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 20, 2004 at 3:34 PM / IP Logged  
It is difficult to find small amps nowadays, I think because head units have gotten more powerful.  If you could find any of the older Blade Technologies amps, a company that was in Canada, they would be great.  They had amps that were only about 1" thick, about 4 x 6", about the size of an average paperback novel, but claimed to put out 200 watts RMS @ 4-Ohms or 400 watts at 2-Ohms.
Germanesma 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spacespace
Posted: September 20, 2004 at 5:08 PM / IP Logged  
QUE GRAN MAMADA!!!!   narrow car amp suggestions? -- posted image.
Eggs putines!
thapimpfromchi 
Silver - Posts: 616
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 20, 2004 at 11:17 PM / IP Logged  
hey man, I dont know what kind of power you are looking for, or if its any good, but I have seen a tiny tiny amplifier at my car audio store for about 35 bucks. Called the RockBox (i think), its about 4 inches wide and long, and about 2 inches deep. it was fused with a 15 amp fuse i think. u can check it out. I think thats the smallest and thinnest u'll find.
1990 Honda Civic HB:
Clarion DXZ545MP H.U.
2- 6.5" Power Acoustik interiors
Diamond Audio 600.1 amp
Diamond Audio 15" M6MKII
Pyramid PB881X 4 CH. Amp
cornflake 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: September 21, 2004 at 8:07 AM / IP Logged  

12-volt_guy wrote:
It is difficult to find small amps nowadays, I think because head units have gotten more powerful.  If you could find any of the older Blade Technologies amps, a company that was in Canada, they would be great.  They had amps that were only about 1" thick, about 4 x 6", about the size of an average paperback novel, but claimed to put out 200 watts RMS @ 4-Ohms or 400 watts at 2-Ohms.

Blade amps were great!  Very compact, nice design and pretty good sound actually.  If you can find an older Orion GT220 it would push everything well and is super tiny!

Esco1977 
Member - Posts: 46
Member spacespace
Posted: September 21, 2004 at 8:28 PM / IP Logged  
if i remember correctly, jbl used to make a very litle amp that might suit ur needs
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic