the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

good 3-4 mid range

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 06, 2004 at 11:21 AM / IP Logged  
Steven Kephart wrote:
xfsrg wrote:
I looked at the speaker that was recommended earlier and it looked nice.  Only its not available, and the pre-order price is MORE than the original price.  that seems kind of weird to me.  So if i do get it, I will just wait until it comes out to save the difference.

You've gotta look a little closer.  That pre-order price is for a pair. good 3-4 mid range - Page 2 -- posted image.

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

And that is an excellent deal.  Thanks for the lead.  I'm building a new center channel for the home theatre setup and these might be fun to play with.  Think they'd match up in an MTM configuration with a Bohlender-Graebener ribbon tweeter crissed at about 3800 Hz?  I was going to try a set of Revelators...

Support the12volt.com
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 06, 2004 at 3:43 PM / IP Logged  
DYohn wrote:
Steven Kephart wrote:
xfsrg wrote:
I looked at the speaker that was recommended earlier and it looked nice.  Only its not available, and the pre-order price is MORE than the original price.  that seems kind of weird to me.  So if i do get it, I will just wait until it comes out to save the difference.

You've gotta look a little closer.  That pre-order price is for a pair. good 3-4 mid range - Page 2 -- posted image.

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

And that is an excellent deal.  Thanks for the lead.  I'm building a new center channel for the home theatre setup and these might be fun to play with.  Think they'd match up in an MTM configuration with a Bohlender-Graebener ribbon tweeter crissed at about 3800 Hz?  I was going to try a set of Revelators...

Actually those 4's are a full range driver.  I'm sure they would work great, but I think maybe a better choice for you would be the new 6" Extremis drivers we have on pre-order (sorry for pushing our stuff, but I really think this would work best for you).  They are fully video shielded and have 12mm of linear throw (XBL^2 too).  The advantage the 4's have is their extreme upper end extention (18 kHz on axis).  And although they do have a good low end extention, our 6's will cream them.  I think matched up with the ribbons you would have a killer center channel.  Although one problem you might run into is the impedance.  Our 6's only come in 8 ohms right now, while the CSS 4's are offered in both 8 and 16 ohms.  So unless your amp can handle a 4 ohm load, the 6's might pose a problem.  Just keep that in mind.

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 06, 2004 at 6:56 PM / IP Logged  
Steven, I read that rear surrounds should be di-pole, with one speaker on each facing forward and one facing the rear.  Is this right?  And would you use 2 16 ohm drivers and wire them for a total of 8 ohms for each rear?  I ask because I'm thinking about starting a rear surround project.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
DYohn 
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 06, 2004 at 7:12 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks for the feedback, Steven.  I'll look at your 6's although the enclosure is already mostly ready with 4.5's in mind (and I'm not opposed to building my Xover for 16 ohms on the low end.  Plenty of power available from my Sunfire amp... in fact, it may be capable of handling 4 ohms, I'll look into that.)

stevdart, dipole surrounds are fine, especially if you use older Dolby ProLogic surround gear.  But if you are using more modern surround systems (like Dolby Digital or AC3 or any of the THX schemes) your rear surrounds have discrete program material and should really not be dipole.  Indeed, I prefer the sound of 2-way direct radiators to the diffuse dipole sound.  Besides, getting a crossover right for dipoles can be a real pain...

Support the12volt.com
stevdart 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 06, 2004 at 8:48 PM / IP Logged  

Ya, I do have an older Yamaha Dolby ProLogic amp, and the rears get 20 watts each at 8 ohms.  I just want to replace the crappy bose speakers I'm now using with something I make to complement  the look of the main towers.  But I know 20 watts isn't much to work with...looking ahead at Wintertime projects.

I might try something with two of these Vifa buyouts for each rear

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 06, 2004 at 10:37 PM / IP Logged  
DYohn wrote:

Thanks for the feedback, Steven.  I'll look at your 6's although the enclosure is already mostly ready with 4.5's in mind (and I'm not opposed to building my Xover for 16 ohms on the low end.  Plenty of power available from my Sunfire amp... in fact, it may be capable of handling 4 ohms, I'll look into that.)

Nice amp.  I am very jealous then.  With the 4's you have the option of 8 or 16 ohm IIRC.  So you have a lot of wiring options available.  And I'm sure you would be fine with the 4's to.  They are an incredible speaker.  You would just have more low end with the 6's, which is good for a center channel as it produces so much of what you hear. 

I am going to use the 4's in the alignment shown on their site (.25 cubes tuned to 50 Hz).  They have some pretty impressive low end in that setup.  I'd recomend a similar alignment for you if you have the enclosure space.

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

xfsrg 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: October 06, 2004 at 11:05 PM / IP Logged  
well if you install them let me know how they sound... i found them online for around $100, so obviously i wouldnt pay more than that
DYohn 
Posted: October 07, 2004 at 8:35 AM / IP Logged  

stevdart wrote:
I might try something with two of these Vifa buyouts for each rear

Yea I saw those.  Vifa makes very nice drivers and those could be a steal.  Hell, at that price it's very worth trying and a nice 2-way standard or dipole surround with those could sound good in your system.

If you go for dipoles, the trick in the crossover is to wire the two woofers out of phase with each other, and to add a high-pass filter one of them at around 250 Hz so the other will produce meaningful bass.  For best effect, build them as a mirrored pair and make sure the high-passed woofer in each speaker will face the same direction.  I like side-firing dipoles with the high-passed woofer facing forward (towards the screen.)

Support the12volt.com
stevdart 
Posted: October 07, 2004 at 9:14 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks, DYohn, for the expert tips.  I'll be stealing four of these today.
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic