icon

Amp Won’t Get Out of Protect Mode

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
spootydlux4 
Copper - Posts: 149
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 03, 2004 at 4:16 PM / IP Logged  
ok i got done hookin up my friends stuff last night in his 99 gmc p'up. i put in a jvc cd player, a kole q2-980(ithink)amp and 2 12" power acoustics. well i wired everything right but when i go to plug the rca's in , it immediately goes on protect. the rca's only have to touch the amp input and the protect light comes on.  the only reason i can think of is because i used a 4g power and an 8g ground, can this be the cause? if it is can i use some of the remaining power wire as my ground?
blah blah blah blah
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: October 03, 2004 at 5:33 PM / IP Logged  
well first off i wouldnt plug the rca's in while the amp is on that would cause protect of some amps.    rule of thumb is to use the same size ground as u use for power wires and keep it under 3ft    I try to stay under 1ft personally but it all depends.   I would re ground the amp plug in the rca's then see if it turns on....also try unplugging your speakers completly from the amp and see if it turns on.   How do you have them wired?   this should get you on a start to finding the problem
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
kidtransam 
Copper - Posts: 99
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 03, 2004 at 8:37 PM / IP Logged  
If your rcas are grounded somewhere (scraped or something) it will cause the amp to go into protection..Unplug the rcas from the amp and from the radio..run a temp rca (dont install it) just run it from the head unit to the amp..if it still goes into protection...its not the rcas. Unhook the subs..and reattach the rcas..if it stops its the subs..if it still comes on..its prob in the head units outputs.
With a torch and a big enough hammer...it WILL friggin fit!!
Rushman 
Silver - Posts: 380
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 03, 2004 at 10:19 PM / IP Logged  
are those 12 power acoustics DVCs?
spootydlux4 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 04, 2004 at 6:44 PM / IP Logged  
no rushman, their svc. but it would be alright to use my left over power wire for my ground?
blah blah blah blah
Rushman 
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 04, 2004 at 7:03 PM / IP Logged  
absolutely yes , as long as its the same guage as the power wire or bigger.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 04, 2004 at 7:06 PM / IP Logged  
<cringes> yes <shakes head> Amp Won’t Get Out of Protect Mode -- posted image. Doing this leads to more problems that you could ever think. While it is OK to do it, it is very very easy to get those wires mixed up if you work on the system. I do not recommend this. If you are going to do this, at least black tape the ground wire to ensure that it is noticeably the ground wire.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
Rushman 
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 04, 2004 at 7:14 PM / IP Logged  
you are correct forbidden as far as color codes go but Im assuming that the guy is smart enough to keep an eye on the one ground wire. Im sure weve all been in a pinch before and had to subsitute wires before. I like to use designated wires as much as possible but when he's down to just one single ground wire that can make or break the system , Im sure using a few feet of red wire will do untill he can get to the store or where ever to get BLACK wire.
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: October 04, 2004 at 9:14 PM / IP Logged  
ahhh even i have mees up and hooked up the ground and power backward from doing this luckyly I didnt fry the amp...i would take the extra 10 seconds and cover the wire in tape like forbidden said you'll kick your self if something goes wrong
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
spootydlux4 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 04, 2004 at 9:21 PM / IP Logged  
yes i know what i am doing though im still a novice, my 16 year old self probably knows more than our local car audio shop. But i will wrap it anyway since its going in a friends truck. thanks guys
blah blah blah blah
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic