icon

Advice on what sub to use

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
heavilymedicate 
Silver - Posts: 328
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 07, 2004 at 11:46 AM / IP Logged  

Advice on what sub to use - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image.

Try this...

dirtydreams4x4 
Member - Posts: 34
Member spacespace
Posted: October 07, 2004 at 2:24 PM / IP Logged  

Ok, I couldn't see the 1st picture that you put up, was it the same as the 2nd? That design is the one that JL makes and the pics I've seen are SWEET. I may attempt that build, and if I do I will definantly put up some pics.

Thanks for the info on the speakers also, I am going to have one of those babys real soon.......

I bought my polk components at Tweeter b/c I wanted the factory warranty, and I talked the guy down to $229 for the set. They wanted $299 for them and I wasn't going to buy them that day but the guy really wanted to make the sale. He tried to talk me into buying a 8w7 while I was there too, only $400!! He was going to give me a "good deal" on that too, but I couldn't do it. I know that they are bad ass but I just cant see spending that kind of money on one sub, much less an 8.

Oh hey I've got a new question, I'm looking into a Cap when I add a sub/amp. Is 1 farad enough? Does it matter what brand it is or are they pretty much the same? The whole Cap thing is new to me, around here people just get a bigger alternator if they need more power, and dimming headlights are something to brag about, lol

heavilymedicate 
Silver - Posts: 328
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 07, 2004 at 3:22 PM / IP Logged  

Yeah, it was the same.  I drew that pic in paint, so when my wife comes home and says: "what did you do today?" I can proudly show her that.  Ok, I don’t think she will be thrilled.

Making a assumption: 300w rms for the sub + 150 (75 per channel) for the front.. and we get 450w rms total system power.  General rule is 1 farad for every 1000w rms.  So you are well below that, but very close to the .5 farad point.  So its you choice.  That aside I don’t really think you need a cap.  Upgrade your big 3.  What are the BIG3?  This is the BIG3 http://forum.sounddomain.com/forum/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=5;t=007801  Also, make sure you have a good battery and a good alternator.  I just replaced the alternator in my 95' Suburban with a 180 amp for 150$, the 130 amp was 105$.  I would upgrade my big3 before I considered a cap.  When the car is running the alternator is what you depend on to supply power, so more batteries will not help.  Sounddomain is having a sale on caps right now, if you really want one.

Yeah, people say all the time "So-and-so can make his headlights dim, he's got major power, your lights don’t dim...!"  No, junior, he has got major problems *rolls eyes*.

Sounds like you got a fair deal on those components.  Sure you could have got them cheaper somewhere else, but allot of those "somewhere else" are not authorized dealers and you get NO warranty.  That is not a value to me, and not a "fair" deal, a fair deal is good price + security with your purchase.  Don’t feel bad about talking these guys down, they will not let you break them and competition is healthy for em : ) 

Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic