Sub enclosure needed?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
clemsondave 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2004 at 1:44 PM / IP Logged  

I have a 01 Camaro SS Conv.

I read somewhere that a sub box is not really needed in the trunk.  The trunk acts like the box.  Could I just mount a sub to some mdf and put it, say, where the spare tire is?  I know there are some model specific boxes, but trying to save a few bucks.

dave

heavilymedicate 
Silver - Posts: 328
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2004 at 2:38 PM / IP Logged  
Your talking about a "free-air" set up.  Free-air delivers probably the poorest sound quality of all enclosures.  It is my opinion that with all the modifications you have to do for a free-air setup you may as well just make a ported or sealed enclosure.  Aside from the subwoofer, building a box is relatively cheap.  Maybe 30-40 dollars all together, if you carpet it, or less then 30 if you don’t.  Save yourself money by buying a single, high quality subwoofer, rather than two or three lesser ones.  Buy a amp to power it close to the RMS rating.  Build a enclosure, its not that hard, free-air suXor.  Post again with a budget and your expectations for recommendations on these things.
heavilymedicate 
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2004 at 2:41 PM / IP Logged  
You could build a enclosure to fit into the tire well, its not that hard.  However, no way would i use the tire well as the enclosure.
clemsondave 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2004 at 4:01 PM / IP Logged  

Yea, that's what I figured.

I am pretty good with woodworking, it's just that it looks like it will take numerous compound cuts to fit in that small space.  However, I am not willing to give up any trunk space, so I guess I will figure it out.

There are some on ebay, but they will not fit a convertible.

Thanks!

dave

heavilymedicate 
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2004 at 4:05 PM / IP Logged  
Consider an octagon shape to fit down in the tire well, then, flat on bottom and flat on top.  Ever work with fiberglass?
heavilymedicate 
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2004 at 4:27 PM / IP Logged  

This is a good place to find ideas:  http://www.sounddomain.com/member_pages/search_results.pl?make=Chevrolet&model=Camaro

Take a look at the enclosures here: http://www.sounddomain.com/memberpage/676394 they go to the side's, mostly unused space anyways.

http://www.klaindustries.net/sparetire/sparetire.htm although I would not use that sub. just a general idea of the shape.

http://members.rogers.com/dvst8venge/fgenclosure.htm

So many ideas, your only limited by your will to try new things.  You could do a false floor, a enclosure that fits the entire floor of the trunk with 1/2 inch on each side.  Mount the sub facing to the real floor and make the enclosure shallow, you would hardly miss the space.

clemsondave 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2004 at 6:03 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks for the links.

I will attempt some of those ideas.  The spare tire is on the side not on bottom.

While I would like to try fiberglass, don't think I have enough time for another hobby.  I will do the woodworking thing.

thanks

dave

premieremind 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2004 at 9:39 PM / IP Logged  
Once upon a time before I started to work with fiberglass and such, I found a pair of 10inch JL Audio in a box that fit close but did the trick.  Maybe JLs web site is a good idea.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic