icon

killing my battery/alternator

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
maxxx 
Member - Posts: 32
Member spacespace
Posted: October 14, 2004 at 8:42 PM / IP Logged  

I imagine I am killing my battery/alternator by spending long lengths of time in the garage or driveway tweaking my system (without the car running), coming close to deep cycling the battery, then starting the car a doing city (low-RPM) driving while the alternator spins its arse off.

I am considering using a separate, non-gassing deep-cycle battery (yellow-top?) for tweaking sessions then taking it out of the car and putting it on a trickle charger overnight.  It would involve some minor rewiring at the beginning of each session but I don't see that as a big deal.  I would only be connecting the extra battery to the system and not to the rest of the car's components (except ground of course).

What do you guys think of this idea?  What would be the top choices for a deep-cycling (not necessarily cranking) battery?  What about a trickle charger, would this work - http:///.com/dll?ViewItem&category=42291&item=4330573632&rd=1

Thanks in advance for your input.

destination moon
djfearny2 
Silver - Posts: 810
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 14, 2004 at 9:35 PM / IP Logged  
well as it seems that you run the amps etc for while. now i know a normal battery charger gives noise over the system while running. how many amps do you have
a few things i would try would be
get a good 12 volt power inverter for example
http://www.selectproducts.com/frames.html
now this is an example i am sure you can get better for a lot cheaper and since i work at this place i will tell you that that thing only cost about 1-200 dollars and is sold for over 50 percent more to retail.
but anyway. you would need two of those quick disconect clips the 120 ones a 200 amp relay
http://www.selectproducts.com/frames.html
again can be bought most likely on ebay for a hell of a lot cheaper but i provide links for reference.
1 normal 12 volt relay 1 diode some four guage wire.
for more info you can email me
but these objects will enable you to set up a quick disconnecting setup so that you can use a external power supply to power both your radio and the rest of your system without draining and even using your battery for what your doing..
i can draw a diagram for complete setup using all of these componets so satisfy what you need.
but i have another battery a blue top deep cycle marine battery which all my amps are attached to and o guage wire from bat to bat so i usually dont have to worry about having enough power to start and well it is easy for me cause i have a 180 amp 14 volt regulated stinger altenator. with that altenator i have 117 amps free for my system
Jon
Installer/Help Technician
---coral springs florida---
mecp certification is not always needed. I have it and it has not helped me out at all. my experience out shines it.
Francious70 
Silver - Posts: 629
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 14, 2004 at 9:47 PM / IP Logged  
I have a question. If you are tweaking your system, when you disconnect the battery won't you loose all of the tweaks made in you HU or EQ (if it's electronic)??
Paul

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic