icon

Cap did not stop lights from demming

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
canuheminow 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: October 15, 2004 at 10:31 PM / IP Logged  

I have a 1.5 cap connected between my battery and my rock 8004, but my light are still demming as before I hooked up the cap.  I'm running a kenwood 7015 with a OZ Audio Matrix 12" sub.  I thought the cap was suppose to help or do I need to move up to a bigger cap?  Plus does it make a difference in who the cap is made by?

Please help,

Canuhemi

CanUHemi
canuheminow 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 15, 2004 at 10:32 PM / IP Logged  

I meant a 1/2 farad cap

CanUHemi
Rushman 
Silver - Posts: 380
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 15, 2004 at 10:46 PM / IP Logged  
did you happen to charge the cap before you installed it? They are usually shipped dead. 1/2 farad isnt much these days. If its fully charged , you might concider moving to a 1 farad cap.
99 F-one fitty
Pioneer Premier H/U
Alpine EQ
Kicker 1200 amp
4 Kicker comp 10s
6 kicker SS65.2 components
speedwayaudio1 
Silver - Posts: 879
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 15, 2004 at 11:00 PM / IP Logged  
a cap is not your trouble. the alt is. you need some more power. a high output alt will give you the power you need. what is the rms power output of the amp? 150 amp alt would be the ticket. u can still use the cap, but a cap will never cure this problem. a cap stores power it does not generate it. does a search for caps and alts on this forum and u will find tons of info on the subject. get the ho alt you be glade you did.
Big Dave
canuheminow 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 16, 2004 at 12:23 AM / IP Logged  
I have a 2005 chrysler 300c that comes with a 160 amp alt. I need something bigger than that.   I found the site for HO
CanUHemi
canuheminow 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 16, 2004 at 12:27 AM / IP Logged  
I have a 2005 chrysler 300c that comes with a 160 amp alt. I need something bigger than that?   I found the site for HO Alts, but no prices. Should I go with a 190 amp or a 200. How about if I used one of HO Power Caps would that make a difference? Don't even know if one of the HO alts will even fit my car, I need a fix and I need it fast, I have my lights demming, can't even turn up my system!
CanUHemi
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 16, 2004 at 1:58 AM / IP Logged  

My guess is that you have a bad ground.  Try removing your ground and sanding away all the paint and other stuff to shiny bare metal.  If you are using an already existing bolt (seat belt bolt etc.) then make sure it is not corroded or painted either to be sure of a very solid contact.

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

fatgotti 
Copper - Posts: 177
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 16, 2004 at 8:03 AM / IP Logged  
Also what size power wire are you using and is the cap in-line of the power wire between the  battery and amp..  If their is a great distance between the cap and the amp try making the power wire as short as possible.. I had a similiar problem with a RF cap that had a distribution block on the top of it and it was as simple as adding a bigger power wire....
Fatgotti    Yeah my name is John and I am FAT!! YEAH BABY
canuheminow 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 16, 2004 at 9:55 AM / IP Logged  
I have 4 guage for power and ground, but I have a fuse distro box between the cap and the amp. Should I run the cap power wire streight to the amp? I have it grounded to where the car bat is grounded to. Should I put it to a totally different ground. I charged the cap prior to use. The power wire from the cap to the distro box is only like 6 inches long and the ground wire is like 10 to 12" long. I have 8 guage power from the fuse box to the amp, with a 8 guage for ground.
CanUHemi
fatgotti 
Copper - Posts: 177
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 16, 2004 at 10:13 AM / IP Logged  
Just switch the 8 gauge power & ground for 4 gauge and I garuntee it will make a difference.  If it does not work wire it (i always use 4 gauge when it comes to any cap) straight from battery to cap to amp and always keep the wire between the cap and the amp as short as possible..  hope it helps
Fatgotti    Yeah my name is John and I am FAT!! YEAH BABY
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic