icon

PVC pipe for sub enclosure ?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
nc5er 
Member - Posts: 23
Member spacespace
Posted: October 25, 2004 at 8:46 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks guys, I might try this out after all.

I was thinking along the lines of sealing both ends and then cuting in the hole.

I talked to a Plumer today about this, he said I would be hard pressed to even find pipe that big. He added, schedule 80, is only about  1/4" thick but, is designed for very high water pressure.

stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 25, 2004 at 8:59 PM / IP Logged  

Sorry I jacked your post with a joke...but I saw the opportunity...

As I recall from your earlier post, you have some equipment that you've spent literally months searching for and aquiring.  My suggestion:  Don't reinvent the wheel now.  Use the tried and true method of enclosure construction for your SQ setup.  Mass is a must, and with mass comes weight.  It is something we just have to deal with.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
Asmodeus 
Silver - Posts: 393
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 26, 2004 at 1:13 AM / IP Logged  

We built this at the last shop I worked at...About every other saturday we would try new and different enclosures to see what we could get....We put speakers in everything....An offroad mud tire, a fiberglass box shaped from a beach ball so it was completely round...A fiberglassed Road Cone, A 5Gal Bucket....But the Sewer boom tube was the best sounding..

Me and two friends built a Bazooka tube out of 12" thick wall sewer Pipe that we got from a work site near the shop they were throwing the pipe away cuz It was dented and wouldnt pass specs but was perfect for what we needed...

We cut a piece of MDF that would just fit inside the pipe...Took a little grease and a hammer to get it in...Then we Predrilled & screwed through the outside of the pipe into the wood...Did this on both ends...Then we laid a little Fiber glass matting over the ends just to ensure that it was sealed....Put a Rockford Fosgate HX2 10" Sub in it...Wired it and fired it...Sounded great...I used it in my car for a while...We then found some 10" Sewer pipe and made 8" Sewer Boom Tubes...We wound up selling alot of them....They were kinda expensive cuz the pipe was so high...But it was fun and sounded great...

The only thing with those is you have to get the airspace just right...

The volume of a cylinder equals the (area of the base)*height = ð r2 h   gives you Cubic Inches...

Lotsa fun...Always loved Doing that stuff on saturday...

PVC pipe for sub enclosure ? - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image.
Making the World A Louder Place
nc5er 
Member - Posts: 23
Member spacespace
Posted: October 26, 2004 at 11:17 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks again guys. I should be starting the install in a week, amps first. Got a kit from Tsunami on the way. I've decided to do all I can on my own, mostly, because I really want to. If I can fix my own dam car this might be cake?

I know the mass is necessary for home woofers, it's got to be the same for the car as well. Guess I'll be going with heavy. Is it normal for a 10" sub to weigh about 27 pounds?

Rushman 
Silver - Posts: 380
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 26, 2004 at 11:22 PM / IP Logged  
There are some 10" subs out there today that weigh at least 50lbs. or more. Im working on a project car sponcered by Audiobahn with 4 10" subs that weigh 57 lbs each.
99 F-one fitty
Pioneer Premier H/U
Alpine EQ
Kicker 1200 amp
4 Kicker comp 10s
6 kicker SS65.2 components
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic