icon

routing fiberglass?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
gta94integra 
Member - Posts: 19
Member spacespace
Posted: October 23, 2004 at 3:27 PM / IP Logged  
Im working on a fiberglass cover for my box.  Its pretty hard to explain, but just to save some time, has anyone ever tried to rout fiberglass.  I have a couple of square holes and I would like to bevel the edge, but if i try to rout it will it split the glass or flake?  I have 1/4" osb underneith so its not just glass.  Any input will be appreciated.  Ill post pics as soon as im done.
dpaton 
Copper - Posts: 141
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 24, 2004 at 11:47 AM / IP Logged  
It depends on how well you made the FG. In my experience, if there are any voids at all, or if your resin is compromised in any way the 'glass will delaminate and split. Use a carbide router bit and the highest rated speed for that bit and work as slowly as you can without burning. If the 'glass is at all uneven on the top surface where the router will be sitting, forget it and do the bevel with hand tools.
My $0.02
-dave
This is not a sig. This is a duck. Quack.
D'Ecosse 
Copper - Posts: 49
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 25, 2004 at 1:04 AM / IP Logged  

I don't know about fiberglass, but I have routed fiber reinforced Bondo, and also Bondo Ultimate. These materials machine beautifully with a router.

http://www.nsxprime.com/photopost/data/500/5957DSC00963.JPG

(sorry for link - I'm having hard time embedding pictures - still need to figure out why this site is so different!)

I did the center console cut-out in my NSX by cutting out the OEM double din slot with cassette, re-filling with Bondo and then making a pattern to cut the slot. Finally, a round-over bit to contour the face.

For your application, just use a Bondo frame around your fiberglass and rout that to your finished dimension - again, if you use a square pattern made out of MDF and a pattern bit, you will get a perfect square. Then put the edge profile of your choice on it - even an OGEE!

chrane 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spacespace
Posted: October 27, 2004 at 3:23 AM / IP Logged  
if you jig saw fiberglass, the blades will burn right off, same with a saw, you need a blade that looks like it has sand paper glued to it
Aaron
CarAudioHelp 
Copper - Posts: 198
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 27, 2004 at 8:43 AM / IP Logged  
The question was about routing fiberglass, not jig sawing. And no, the blades will not "burn right off". They will dull faster than cutting MDF. But blades are cheap and how much cutting do we really do on fiberglass?

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic