icon

Wrinkles

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jasonv 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: October 27, 2004 at 2:00 PM / IP Logged  
i already fleeced and added 1 layer of glass to my very first enclosure.  no matter which way i tried i could not get out all the wrinkles.  im using a 60%polyester 40% cotton fabric for my initial fleecing.  i know this will affect my structures integrity.  is there any way to save my box?  ive already spent too much time to scrap it.  should i smooth it out with bondo and then start adding the layers of glass?  or fill in the wrinkles with glass and sawdust?  these are some exceptionaly big wrinkles were talking about here.  my enclosure is made to hold 4 12s.  please help.
boxmaker85 
Silver - Posts: 433
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 27, 2004 at 2:36 PM / IP Logged  
I would say the glass w/ resin and dust.  What will you be running?  If it's anything major I would be careful.  But the glass is your main strength in a fg enclosure.  So as long as you have a good solid layer of it then you should be good.  The wrinkles will give you a bad and bumpy finish on the box unless you fill it in good.
davedyer79 
Copper - Posts: 178
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 27, 2004 at 2:53 PM / IP Logged  
I agree with boxmaker.  I would be a lot better to fill the void with resin and dust rather than a big hunk of bondo.  Another option other than sawdust is cobosil to fill the hole.  Good luck, and lets see some pics.
davedyer79
davedyer79 
Copper - Posts: 178
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 27, 2004 at 2:53 PM / IP Logged  
I agree with boxmaker.  I would be a lot better to fill the void with resin and dust rather than a big hunk of bondo.  Another option other than sawdust is cobosil to fill the hole.  Good luck, and lets see some pics.
davedyer79
CarAudioHelp 
Copper - Posts: 198
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 27, 2004 at 4:38 PM / IP Logged  
I'm going to go the other route and say scrap it. It's going to be a bigger pain to glop a bunch of body filler or whatever onto the surface and then try to get it smoothed out. Getting a smooth surface from a bumpy one is not an easy task when you're just starting out. Of course you'll learn that when try to save the project so that may be a positive aspect. My advice is to take an air saw or whatever you use to trim and cut the fleece/glass layer off. Or just scrap it all together. Sometimes that's the best way. If you have a picture that would help too.
jasonv 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: October 27, 2004 at 10:59 PM / IP Logged  
i think im just gonna build my layers with the curves to get the strength and then use filler to shape it out.  im more than familiar with bodywork so working with the filler shouldnt be a problem.  i just have one more question.  are tiny little air pockets about the size of nickels and dimes a serious problem?  ill try to get pictures tomorrow.  thanks for the help.
juniorxs 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: October 28, 2004 at 4:54 AM / IP Logged  
could you grind off the wrinkles and matt and resin over the holes 
boxmaker85 
Silver - Posts: 433
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 28, 2004 at 9:15 AM / IP Logged  

You would probably be better to just trash the project and start over.  It'll take some work to get that done.  Either fill in w/ resin and glass over that or just ditch it and start over.  Probably the best two options.

The air pockets are weaknesses in the enclosure.  You could try laying down some more glass and using a roller to make sure all air is out between the layers of glass.

lathan 
Copper - Posts: 105
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 28, 2004 at 10:59 PM / IP Logged  
one option ya might consider too is making a paste. aerosi from us composites mixed w/ resin will really fill up big gaps easy... just a thought, peace
Lathan Hites
"I'm sorry, without a credit card I'll be requiring a stool sample"

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic