Power questions

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
tpowell25 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: November 11, 2004 at 1:58 AM / IP Logged  

Still learning here,

but what is the best/simple way to find out how much power or amps I will be pulling from my system....

do you go by the amps and cap. and spekers.....

or just the fuses........

Thanks guys

tpowell25 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 11, 2004 at 2:35 AM / IP Logged  

To add to this also have a question about my Cap.

AUDIOBAHN

Model: ACAP50
Specs:

• 10 Farad Capacity
  • New Square Design
  • Four 1/0 Gauge inputs
  • 24 Volt Nominal – 30 Volt Surge
  • That 24 volt-------does this mean I need more than one battery to run this cap?

or is this the max it can handle

thanks again

pintofbestbitte 
    Member - Posts: 8
    Member spacespace
    Posted: November 11, 2004 at 12:12 PM / IP Logged  

Hmm certainly not by the fuses, though they do give you an idea of how how much power your system drains. I too would like an answer to this question - but the current drain of a 50 watt head unit. It is actually 50/12=4.16 amps? This seems like LOADS!

Cheers

Francious70 
    Silver - Posts: 629
    Silver spacespace
    Posted: November 11, 2004 at 12:48 PM / IP Logged  
    Remember, HU's say 50 watts/channel, but they only do ~20/channel. So they really only pull ~2 amps RMS.
    And yes, to find out what the drain from your system is, add the fuses together, amp make sure your alternator can keep up with that # PLUS what it takes to run your car normally.
    As for the cap, when it says 24 volt nominal, that means it will hold 24 volts all the time.
    Paul
    tpowell25 
    Member spacespace
    Posted: November 11, 2004 at 1:00 PM / IP Logged  

Thank you Paul

This is what I have

320 on two amps with the cap powering the back amps, useing 0 guage from battery, 2 guage from cap to amp.

and 120 on the front amps

that to much for a stocl alt. I know I should upgrade it, just havet made it that far yet//

DYohn 
    Moderator - Posts: 10,741
    Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
    Posted: November 11, 2004 at 1:12 PM / IP Logged  

The kind of information you seek is contained in the  Car Audio general information setion of this site.  If you try the links to the left side of the forum page, you can find a lot of good stuff!  Cheers.

Support the12volt.com
    DYohn 
    Moderator - Posts: 10,741
    Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
    Posted: November 11, 2004 at 1:18 PM / IP Logged  

Francious70 wrote:
    As for the cap, when it says 24 volt nominal, that means it will hold 24 volts all the time.

Actually, that is the capacitor's voltage limit rating, meaning it is the maximum voltage it is capable of storing.  It cannot create voltage from nothing and will only charge up to the max output from your alternator.  It will never attain 24 volts in a vehicle with a 12 volt system - nor do you want it to!

Support the12volt.com
    dragonrage 
    Copper - Posts: 193
    Copper spacespace
    Posted: November 13, 2004 at 10:26 PM / IP Logged  

"As for the cap, when it says 24 volt nominal, that means it will hold 24 volts all the time. "

NO. Capacitors have MAX voltages only. They will blow if you go above that voltage. But they only charge to the voltage you apply. You can use a 348349087534807V cap in a 12V system. It'll only get to 12V, but in this case, that's a good thing, 'cause you don't want to be blowing your amp with 348349087534807 volts.

2009 Pontiac G8 in planning stage
    HU: ?
    Speakers: ?
    Amps: ?

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
    This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic