icon

difference between mono and 2 channel amp

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
hightek 
Copper - Posts: 223
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2004 at 7:43 PM / IP Logged  
i've read the mono amps are better for subs because they don't have to work as hard or something like that. i'm looking at the cadence z9000 to power a 12" brahma, but realized it's a 2 channel amp. my question is, does the fact that it's a 2 channel amp really matter that much? i'd be running it in mono at a 4 ohm load to get 800 watts RMS.
supradude 
Silver - Posts: 915
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2004 at 8:08 PM / IP Logged  
I've been running amps in mono for years. It won't hurt them, as long as you don't go below the recommended ohm load set by the manufacturer.
'85 Toy
astro88 
Copper - Posts: 195
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2004 at 8:16 PM / IP Logged  
clss d amps(mono) are more efficient =less strain on the power supply
uthinkuknoaudio 
Silver - Posts: 760
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2004 at 8:34 PM / IP Logged  
definitely get that Z9000, bridged it and you will have all the power you will need. I own cadence amps and they are by far underrated, as my ZRS-9 produces 1600 WRMS instead of 1000 W @ 2ohms. I definitely recommend you getting that amp!
pimpincavy 
Silver - Posts: 880
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2004 at 8:55 PM / IP Logged  
http://realmofexcursion.com/beta_videos.html
The last video on this page is of a Cadence amp powering a Sawzall. So yeah, they are pretty powerful.
uthinkuknoaudio 
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2004 at 9:13 PM / IP Logged  
Yeah those are the AC series amps, and they are absolutely nasty. They have enough power to spare that it is just wrong. Seriously, cadence amps are fantastic. Once side effect i forgot to mention about them THEY ARE BIG and when i say big i mean huge. Just by length and width. So just have a good spot for them. They are pretty thin to you should be able to store under the seats or on the back of the speaker box or another location. I built a custom amp rack for my ZRS-4 and ZRS-9.
hightek 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2004 at 9:52 PM / IP Logged  
yeah i was planning on building my own amp rack. but it sounds like it would be a good choice?
uthinkuknoaudio 
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2004 at 9:57 PM / IP Logged  
It is a good choice, because they would get better ventilation and it would be easier to access for whatever reason instead of pulling it out from under a seat.
"I don't play games. I play Nakamichi and that for real yo" - Probably some japanese kid said this in the early 80's trying to sell stereo out of his trunk lol.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 21, 2004 at 11:12 PM / IP Logged  
If I had a Brahma and enough money, I would choose a high quality two-channel amp, too.  The extra money because:  more power upgrade (alternator, wiring) needed for a hungrier amplifier.  And a high quality two channel A/B amp will cost more than a high quality class D amp, for the same power output.  That is, if I were building a big-time SQ system and running the sub at 4 ohms.  But, in real life, I would use a D amp for the sub, run it at 2 ohms, and save the extra expenses because I wouldn't be able to hear or appreciate the difference in sound quality.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
hightek 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2004 at 12:26 AM / IP Logged  
i'm pretty sure you can not run the brahma as a 2 ohm load. someone please correct me if i'm wrong
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic