icon

Wiring two amps and a capacitor?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Nat_87 
Copper - Posts: 34
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2004 at 6:45 AM / IP Logged  

Hi all, heres my question... I am planning on wiring in two amps to feed off a capacitor. the amps are: 2 x 120 (bridged) RMS @ 4OHMS and a mono amp being 300 RMS @ 4 OHMS. Now what i want to know is what sized wiring should i use from the battery to the cap, then from the cap to the two amps? I have also heard about distribution blocks, what are they and when are they used and would it be best to look into one for this setup? If you need any more info just let me know so you can help me out here.

Thanks for your time!

~* Cheer Nat *~
Pioneer DEH-7650MP
Pioneer TS-C160R
Pioneer TS-A6990S
Pioneer GM-6000F 4ch Amp
Audiobahn AW120T 12" Sub
Pioneer GM-D510M Mono Amp
AERPRO 1F Capacitor
kklagge 
Member - Posts: 41
Member spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2004 at 6:52 AM / IP Logged  
I really wouldn't bother with a cap in your case...you aren't running that much power.
As far as the distribution block goes...it's purpose it to be able to run (1) large guage wire from your battery to the location of your amps and then it splits that large wire into smaller ones so you don't have to run multiple wires through your firewall.
Nat_87 
Copper - Posts: 34
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2004 at 6:57 AM / IP Logged  

Hi, thanks for that, the only reason i have the cap is bekoz my sub is a 500W RMS one, and the mono amp is only there for a lil while, it will be upgraded as soon as i can get the dosh :)

~* Cheer Nat *~
Pioneer DEH-7650MP
Pioneer TS-C160R
Pioneer TS-A6990S
Pioneer GM-6000F 4ch Amp
Audiobahn AW120T 12" Sub
Pioneer GM-D510M Mono Amp
AERPRO 1F Capacitor
kklagge 
Member - Posts: 41
Member spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2004 at 6:59 AM / IP Logged  
I'm assuming you only have one amp hooked up to your sub? If so, and you want to use the cap, then only wire it to that amp and not both of them.
kickerstang 
Copper - Posts: 180
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2004 at 2:57 PM / IP Logged  
caps are pointless, they provide you with about half a milliseconds worth of power.  invest in a second battery, it might actually be a little cheaper than a cap and provide you with much much more power.
what!?!?! you want some??
97Avalonxls 
Copper - Posts: 115
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2004 at 3:15 PM / IP Logged  
I think you will probobly not need the benifits of the cap, if any, for your mids and highs, so I agree just run the cap in line before the sub amp. If you are heart set on having it run to both, simply make sure that you keep the wires really short and use a high quality disrto block. If the cap is more than 18 inches from the amp, then it is certainly useless, except as a paperweight, and the distro block will add to that. I had my cap running to both my amps before and used about a total of ten inches of 4 ga wire to connect everything. worked fine, I changed it when I redid the amp rack just because it was impractical to have the amps that close to each other any more
nc5er 
Member - Posts: 23
Member spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2004 at 7:12 PM / IP Logged  
Might want to look for a fused distribution block with 4 and/or 8 gauge out.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic