icon

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee JDL problems

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jherrick 
Member - Posts: 42
Member spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2004 at 5:01 PM / IP Logged  

I am installing a RS-900VII and (Crimestopper equivalent to JDL-PK) transponder/databus interface.  The lock and unlock is fine.  The alarm disable is fine.  The transponder I can not program.  With the key in the ign., the RS works.  Without the key, it starts and quits.

I have a hard time understanding the "5-With the help of a jumper wire..." instruction.  I put +12V on the Dk. Blue, and it just clicked.  No start.  12 on the Yellow/blue starts it if the key is in the ignition, but when the key is out, it just cranks.  No fire.  Am I doing it right?

jherrick 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2004 at 5:45 PM / IP Logged  

I am trying really hard to understand how this is supposed to work.  The instructions say to start the jeep with the help of a jumper wire.  I think I understand part of this.  If the blue Ignition wire is not supplied with 12V when trying to start the jeep, it will crank but won't start.  So I connected the blue Ignition wire to 12V and put 12V on Starter (Yellow/blue).  This time instead of just cranking it actually started, but would not stay started.

Of course, why would it, it has not got a valid transponder to keep it running!  At this point I am frustrated trying to understand how this is supposed to work.  Could someone clue me in?

extreme1 
Silver - Posts: 1,070
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2004 at 6:19 PM / IP Logged  
you need to program the unit properly.
Key #1 On until transponder light shuts off
Key#2 On until transponder lights shuts off, then comes back on with a chime
at this point, you hold the JDL-PK up to the keycylinder and jump your 2 accesories and ignition wire to power and wait until the transponder light illuminated solid.
Shaughn Murley
Install Manager, Dealer Services
Visions Electronics
Red Deer, Alberta
jherrick 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2004 at 6:43 PM / IP Logged  

OK, I tried that, and couldn't get the light to come on solid while holding the module up to the cylinder.  What could I check?

jherrick 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2004 at 11:10 AM / IP Logged  

Do I need to have the purple wire to the data bus disconnected in order to program this?

I did as you said, and held the transponder up to the ignition, then applied 12V, but I waited over 30 seconds and it still didn't give a solid light.  I have tried this many times, and still can't get the solid light.  I have tried it with and without the loop connected, and just can't think of any other options.

I am using, from the ignition harness, the Dark Blue, BLACK/ Orange, and RED / Black wires and applying 12V to them.  Are these the correct wires?

Do I need to disconnect the RS when trying to program the transponder?

Image6902 
Member - Posts: 45
Member spacespace
Posted: November 24, 2004 at 2:10 PM / IP Logged  

I had a hell of a time with this interface as well. the jumper idea is kind of hard to do correctly, so i suggest this... if your remote start unit has a programmable feature for a diesel auto delay, you can use the remote start to program the jdlpk. make sure your starter works with the key in the lock, program the unit for auto delay, and test it once with the key just in the lock. the unit will power the ignition and wait 15 seconds before crank, and then will start. now take the key out,  do the 1st key 2nd key and then remote start it with the jdlpk near the lock cylinder (there should be a dot on the back of the jdlpk that shows which end to put next to the lock) and keep it there until the truck starts. the light i believe will blink like it's not seeing the transponder, but keep holding it there. it should beep after that and go solid. I played with mine for a good two hours before i realized i had to just keep holding it there. good luck!!! (note: you have to have two valid keys to program the jdlpk and another quirk, the jdlpk can only be programmed to one vehicle, Sentry key safety feature 

I tell it like it is...
jherrick 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 30, 2004 at 8:37 PM / IP Logged  

Image,

Thank you, thank you, thank you!  It worked.  The RS-900VII has an option to wait for 10, 20, or 30 seconds, and when I set it to 30 and held it, it worked.  Some things that anyone reading this post in the future should know:

1) You may have to extend the purple wire to reach, but make sure that the module is in the front of the key slot, where you place the key in.  Basically covering the silver metal key slot.  Beside, behind, or around will not work.

2) Unplug the loop when programming the module.

3) Wrap the loop tightly around the key chamber.  I had it loosely wrapped, and it wasn't working until I tightened my loops.

4) When wrapping the loop, wrap one side of the loop one way and the other the other way, and do the 2-3 loops that are recommended.

5) Unplugging the connector from the module and plugging it back in gives three short honks of the horn.  The lock/unlock still operates correctly, even though the purple wire was not the last connected.

Thanks again to everyone who helped me with this.

Jim

jherrick 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 01, 2004 at 9:46 AM / IP Logged  

Oh yeah, one more thing to add to the list.

I tied in to the light switch on the steering column for the parking lights, and did not have to use any resistors, relays, etc.  It works fine.  The parking lights blink when locking and unlocking.  Maybe it's just the RS module, but I didn't have any of the parking light issues mentioned in some of the other posts on here.

Sierra2700 
Copper - Posts: 117
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 07, 2004 at 7:12 PM / IP Logged  

Can someone clarify what I should do to hook up the parking lights. The wiring diagram says use -parking lights. The RS unit I have has both +12v parking light and also a optional -parking light output, the manual says I only have to use one not both. The wiring digram for a 2001 Jeep grand cherokee says Dark Blue/pink at the steering column. Is this what I should do? Any tips or pointers would be helpful.

Sierra2700 
Copper - Posts: 117
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 08, 2004 at 10:19 PM / IP Logged  
Anyone ?
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic