icon

tach problem on 98 Malibu

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
MattDPimp420 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2004 at 5:54 PM / IP Logged  

I've never hooked up a tach wire for a remote start before.  The Vehical wiring information from The12Volt says that the tach wire on a 98 Malibu is PURPLE / white.  I followed the spark plug wires to the coil, I quess, and found a very small guage PURPLE / white wire.  It reads 5volts AC when the car is on, but one thing that didn't seem right is that the value didn't go up when I increased the RPM's.  Well, I attached the wire to the R/S but the R/S didn't seem to know the car was on.  It started but then shut off.  I was curious about what would happen when there is no tach input to the R/S, so i disconnected the tach input wire form the R/S.  Same thing happened, it started but then shut itself off.  This leads me to believe that I have the wrong tach wire connected.  The instructions to the R/S also says that I can wrap the tach input wire around a spark plug.  I tried this but it didn't work.  I am also sure that I correctly programed the R/S to tach mode.  Please help me find the right tach wire or help me solve this problem

Thank you

arctic 
Member - Posts: 30
Member spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2004 at 5:57 PM / IP Logged  
PURPLE / white is not always the right wire... try a thicker gauge white in the same harness.
arctic 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2004 at 5:58 PM / IP Logged  
btw... why do you need tach?
MattDPimp420 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2004 at 6:05 PM / IP Logged  

I believe I need the tach wire, because it is not working in tachless mode.  It worked the first day, but then stopped working.  Which led me to believe that it wasn't sensing the voltage drop.  So i was thinking it would work in tach mode.

MattDPimp420 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2004 at 6:24 PM / IP Logged  

there is no thicker gauge wire in the same harness.  Am I looking at the right harness?  What is the best way to find the tach wire? 

arctic 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2004 at 6:28 PM / IP Logged  
first of all, if it worked before, i dont see any reason why it would be a tach issue. are you sure you're not having an issue with passlock II?
MattDPimp420 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2004 at 6:34 PM / IP Logged  
I'm absolutly positive its not the Passlock II. I've put the key in the ignition and turned it to the on position, then started the remote start.  The car starts then stays on, but the remote start turns off then tries to start the car again.  So the starter,since the car is running, overgrinds.  This makes me think that R/S doen'st know the car is on.
badasscarguy7 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2004 at 10:37 PM / IP Logged  
the tach wire on the malibu can also be found at the bcm PURPLE / white. The BCM is located to the Right of the gas pedal or behind the radio 
kevindanielk 
Member - Posts: 42
Member spacespace
Posted: December 02, 2004 at 11:51 PM / IP Logged  
Try using a fuel injector wire. It works just as well as the tach wire in all cars. Of the two wires in the injector plug, it would be the uncommon color on all the injectors. This means, if all the injectors have one black wire in common, the other wire on each injector would be of a different color. One of these is the wire you need to use. Then, redo the tach learn routine for your alarm because it probably didn't learn it since it was not receiving the proper tach signal when you last did it. Hope this helps.
love4car 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: December 12, 2004 at 9:58 PM / IP Logged  

tach wire is White located at powertrain control module located behind driver dash next to the steering column.

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic