Weird problem

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
SierraP615 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: December 07, 2004 at 1:06 AM / IP Logged  

bdl666 wrote:
 I think is the ground on the car, because there are two ground wires on the engine compartment, one looks like a 6 gauge that goes from the engine to the battery and  another one that looks like a 8 gauge  from the battery to the frame. I haven't  checked the rest of the engine compartment for extra wires.

i'm not to impressed with the stock saturn battery/charging system cables at all(the one from the starter to the alternator is TINY), i'm planing to upgrade to 4 or 2 gauge and i'm not even running a amp.

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 07, 2004 at 8:31 AM / IP Logged  
Besides the mentioned ground problem probability, a few other things: when you installed the new alt, did you install new belts to drive it?  Did you upgrade the wiring from the alt to the battery and the engine ground strap?  And you say you stripped a window in your power and ground wire and "twisted" a lead on for your cap, right?  This is a very bad high-resistance connection.  Solder that thing at the very least!  The far, far better thing to do is to cut the wire and use proper connectors. 
Support the12volt.com
bdl666 
Silver - Posts: 330
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 07, 2004 at 9:46 AM / IP Logged  

I haven't replaced the alt . And when I twisted the wire all of the exposed wire went inside the the solderless ring terminal and then crimped with a pneumatic crimper to mil specs ( I work at a company that makes solderless connectors and crimping machines) .

Also I haven't had time to replace all the stock ground wires on the car. I can make custom wires at work but I haven't had time to do it. And yes my brother in law had the charging system checked. And I did check the voltage with a dmm, but it only goes down in the rear and not at the battery. That is why I was asking about the extra ground wire to the back to maybe complement the car's( think about resistors connected  in parallel).

Think I should run it? Not to the amp but to the spot where I grounded the amp on the back)

supradude 
Silver - Posts: 915
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 07, 2004 at 11:10 AM / IP Logged  
It could be the cap is bad. My car was doing the same thing, the voltage was dropping in the rear, after the cap. I done away with the cap and that fixed my problem. 
'85 Toy
Herald 
Member - Posts: 46
Member spacespace
Posted: December 07, 2004 at 6:36 PM / IP Logged  

jeffchilcott wrote:
grounding stright to your battery from an amp in the trunk???    sounds like a problem waiting to happen to me

why is this a problem? Pleasse explain

A person who carries or proclaims important news; a messenger.
Herald 
Member - Posts: 46
Member spacespace
Posted: December 08, 2004 at 10:00 PM / IP Logged  
Please explain
A person who carries or proclaims important news; a messenger.
dustin_parks79 
Member - Posts: 35
Member spacespace
Posted: December 08, 2004 at 11:03 PM / IP Logged  
1st of all from reading what i have read, i would bet, that you have the ground from the cap and the ground from the amp hooked up in the same place.....will if that is so that is your problem......i know sounds stupied but move your grounds away from one another and see if it dont fix your problem....i had the same problem not long ago and when i was told to do that i figured some one was a jackass.....but now i take all that back cause some one just seemed to be pretty smart now go out there and move your ground......l8terz hit me up and let me know the results.
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic