icon

did i get shafted?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
hightek 
Copper - Posts: 223
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 03, 2004 at 1:13 AM / IP Logged  

so you're saying that before i start my car i have to disarm, then start it? i'm guessing this will also lock the doors after it has been started.  it also sounds like there is no way to go around this step. if i were to have gotten the 790xv or whatever, the combo RS and alarm, would i have had to worry about this?

would it even be worth it to visit the shop and ask them about it, or could this be something i could handle over the phone?

sorry about the two posts, try to stop before it posted the first but no such luck.

jimmeezgolfvr6 
Silver - Posts: 258
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 03, 2004 at 5:14 AM / IP Logged  
this doesn't sound like a very knowledgeable shop if they let a job like that go out the door. ravendarat is right about the sad reality of separate alarm and remote starter units, but there is a really easy way to bypass the shock sensor during the remote start sequence. all it takes is one relay! if your shop can't figure it out they really should consider a different line of business.
virtually every remote start i've ever seen must have a wire that will have an output as soon as it's been asked to remote start via the remote. just use this output to trigger a relay that will open up the trigger wire (or the +12v or ground wire) of the shock sensor. it's really no different from wiring up a starter kill or anti-grind relay. good luck!
all problems can be resolved with a hammer
snguyen 
Silver - Posts: 281
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 03, 2004 at 8:46 AM / IP Logged  

Remote start install should come with the hood pinned!  What happen to safety??? that's the question that you need to ask the shop. 

Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: December 03, 2004 at 9:54 AM / IP Logged  
If you read a little further up, his hood pin was included on the remote start, but he had an alarm installed earlier that did not. My question is why didnt the alarm go into full panic mode when the ignition turned on. As soon as the viper detected the ignition it should have went off. Unless of course these guys 5 wired the ignition wire off the brain of the alarm and just didnt do the shock sensor.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
hightek 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 03, 2004 at 10:37 AM / IP Logged  

i really have no clue, and since i have never installed an alarm i'm lost (and you really don't have to explain since i probably won't install alarms, i'll stick to audio did i get shafted? - Page 2 -- posted image. ) but anyways, as far as the shop knowledge, i'm really really dissapointed i went with this shop to install my alarm. after i got it installed i talked to people in some of my classes and they were like "you didn't go there did you?" turns out they have had problems with alarms installed there too. oh well i learned my lesson. if i were to go back and explain the deal to them, i would like to know what to say in terms of installation about bypassing the locks or something (that's what jimmeezgolfvr6 made is ound like) please correct me if i'm wrong. all i'm trying to do is get my money's worth and have my alarm/RS perform like it is supposed to, making the shop look stupid is just a perk.

just to be clear with jimmeezgolfvr6, the shock sensor does not go off during the start up of the car. it is after the car has been started that it starts to go off.

OK, update time, i went back to the shop today and told them the problem. it turns out the shock sensor was set so light that when the engine was running it would trigger it. now it works perfectly. i still think though that this will be the last purchase i make from them, not very knowledgable, VERY (almost too) relaxed staff, they lack professionalism (seeing how i'm almost 21 i like to be able to relate to people, but they do not have to go around talking in slang that i don't even use, maybe that's just me though). anyways, for now the problem is solved. as i always do, thank you guys for all your help.

anyways, as always, i greatly appreciate all of your guys' help

hagmanti 
Silver - Posts: 304
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 06, 2004 at 8:55 PM / IP Logged  
Turning down the sensitivity of your shock sensor is not the answer to this problem. That means that the shock sensor is not doing its job at any time. (If you think about it, engine vibration is fairly significant vibration-- if somebody were hitting/bumping your car hard enough to make it move as much as the engine does at idle, you'd want to know!!!)
The shock sensor needs to be disabled during remote starts and set to a normal sensitivity at all other times. That's the only correct solution...
FWIW, I'd cut my losses w/ this shop, buy a good combo unit from a good shop, and have it installed from scratch, after ripping out the old ones.
Just my $.02,
Me
hightek 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 07, 2004 at 12:11 AM / IP Logged  
it makes sense now about the shock sensor.i'll go out tomorrow and beat on my car (not hard though) and try and set it off.
but you're also saying to just rip the one i have out now and buy a new combo? i agree that would be the best solution, but isn't it a little extreme? i don't know about you but i don't exactly have the $700 or whatever to spend on a new one.
sroth140 
Silver - Posts: 513
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 07, 2004 at 9:12 AM / IP Logged  

we dont install hood pins here based on the climate.  they cause more problems than its worth.  we do install the toggle switch for th RS so customers can manually turn it off.  we write the location down in the owners manual and show them during demonstration.

on an alarm/RS, we can install a merc switch for about $25.  trunk triggers, switch or rear light, start off at $15.99

MECP certified installer
jherrick 
Member - Posts: 42
Member spacespace
Posted: December 07, 2004 at 10:13 AM / IP Logged  
sroth140 wrote:

we dont install hood pins here based on the climate.  they cause more problems than its worth. 

sroth,

Would you please elaborate on this?  Where are you in the US?  I am in Maine, we get pretty cold weather.  Is it cold, hot, dry, humid, or something else that causes the problems?

I ask because I recently put in a RS on a friend's car, but have not wired the hood switch yet.  Now I am wondering if maybe the toggle is the better way to go.

Thanks.

Jim

Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: December 07, 2004 at 10:28 AM / IP Logged  
I dont understand how climate affects a hood pin. It cant be cold, because right now its like minus 20 outside and It gets down to minus 40 to minus 45 and I dont have problems with my hood pins. The only problems I ever get with hood pins is when people slam their hoods down and snap the pins, generally happens by mechanics when they change the oil
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic