icon

Esoteric cables

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
04mdx4sq 
Copper - Posts: 111
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 10, 2004 at 4:57 PM / IP Logged  

There are two sides to this debate, obviously. I know what I heard. But in the interest of objectivity, I replaced the original Monster 401cables with new 401 cables, there was no difference. I then brought in one of our customers with a good ear to do some listening. He couldn't see what we were changing as our board wiring is out of sight from the room, so he wasn't aware of what component in the system was being changed. The only thing we changed was interconnects, sometimes actually switching, sometimes not. He could tell the difference in sound between the cables. When we were finished, he asked which amplifiers we were switching between. So again, I invite anyone who doubts the difference to come in and hear it for yourself.

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 10, 2004 at 5:44 PM / IP Logged  
Take some oscilloscope readongs on the outputs and show me the measurable difference.
Support the12volt.com
04mdx4sq 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 10, 2004 at 7:24 PM / IP Logged  
Obviously osciiloscope readings will tell the whole story of the way something sounds, won't they? We are talking about subtle nuances and a difference in staging and imaging. I am speaking of an audible difference.  Like I said, I can hear a difference and so can true audiophiles.
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 10, 2004 at 7:44 PM / IP Logged  
I second the oscilloscope readings. I'd trust those more than some "audiophile." Whatever the hell that is.
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
04mdx4sq 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 11, 2004 at 11:57 AM / IP Logged  
Thank you for helping me make my point. Look up audiophile and get back to me. Have you ever done this testing with your own ear? Or maybe if you believe the author of this article, he is telling you there is no difference and making your mind think you don't hear one, is this reversing of your perception possible? Read more of the wonderful ramblings on the website, he contradicts himself. This is the great thing about the internet, people can state their oppinions and make them sound like fact, and people will swear to them being correct.
DYohn 
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 11, 2004 at 12:11 PM / IP Logged  

04MDX4SQ wrote:
Obviously osciiloscope readings will tell the whole story of the way something sounds, won't they? We are talking about subtle nuances and a difference in staging and imaging. I am speaking of an audible difference.  Like I said, I can hear a difference and so can true audiophiles.

Oscilloscope readings will indeed tell the whole story about any changes to a signal being introduced by interconnects or any other component in the signal chain.  There is no way a cable can "improve" the sound of anything.  It is a conductor, plain and simple.  It can degrade the sound, certainly, through poor quality construction, bad connectors, corrosion and oxidation, high resistance, or poor shielding allowing noise to be introduced.  If the sound improved after changing your cables, the original ones were degrading the sound somehow.  Plain and simple physics.  I have tested in my lab everything from 49-cent RCA cables to $15000 so-called audiophile cables and 36 gage to 0 gage speaker wires, and can tell you there is no discernable "improvement" possible from cables, only introduced degredation from inferior products.  I run a lab that tests equipment all day every day for a living.

So what is your definition of "true audiophile?"  Someone who claims to hear the difference between your cables and therefor agrees with you?  I can introcude you to people who can claim to hear the difference between transistors, even though there is absolutely none, and they get it "right" 75% of the time.  They have learned to listen for certain characteristics to reinforce their pre-determined beliefs.  It is precisely what Rod calls "faith" more than any provable physical fact. 

Bottom line if you can "hear a difference" and like what you hear, then by all means use whatever makes you feel good.  I'll do the same, thanks.  But since you work for a retailer, I'll bet at least part of your motivation stems from that extra commission bump you can get from selling over-priced "audiophile" cables.

Support the12volt.com
04mdx4sq 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 11, 2004 at 1:17 PM / IP Logged  

Not on comission, thanks.

DYohn,  You are contradicting yourself in the above statement regarding people who claim to hear the difference in transistors by listening for certain characteristics. If there are different characteristics that seperate the transistors, there is a difference, is there not?

I am just saying that I trust I heard a difference. I have never claimed that the cables improved the sound, only that the cables are an improvement over other cables. How can an oscilliscope show you depth of stage in a recording? Is it not possible that the human ear and it's perception pick up on nuances that a mechanical measuring device cannot? Could this "faith" in what Rod has to say not made up your mind for you? Could it be you don't hear a difference because you were told you wouldn't?

DYohn 
Posted: December 11, 2004 at 1:40 PM / IP Logged  

Nope, it's because in 31 years of working in this industry I have never been able to measure any improvement regarding cables unless the original source was deficient.  And the ears guys we have around the shop who claim that TI MosFETs are superiour in sound quality to those from Samsung or Hyundai are simply being biased against Korean suppliers.  The characteristic sound of a TI transister is not inherently "better" or "worse."  It is differrent.  Much like those who claim electrostatic loudspeakers are far superior to conventional drivers.  I disagree, and there is no measurable difference in teh output.  It is a matter of taste, not quality improvement.

Staging, clarity, presence, etc. are a function of the source material and the loudspeakers involved.  Cables cannot improve it, they can only allow what was already there to be evident where other cables may have masked it.

Support the12volt.com
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 11, 2004 at 1:50 PM / IP Logged  
That really is the key, 04mdx4sq...perception.  When we're dealing in an environment where hearing is the test, and hearing is always subjective...perception is the deciding element.  As much as a good salesman has to believe in his product, a good engineer must believe in physical laws.  We on this forum, as a whole, are a little more "real world" inclined than the typical high-end audio store.  Very few (of us) are engineers, but we have a few (some with PhD's like our moderator DYohn) who have spent a lifetime in the testing labs and in the great auditoriums of the world.  The opinions of those individuals weigh heavily here.  But  you really needn't worry that opinions expressed here will sway a lot of "audiophiles" into buying cables that don't pass your muster.  If you continue to provide the quality sales experience it sounds like you do in the showroom, they will continue to write the fatter checks!
04mdx4sq 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 11, 2004 at 4:53 PM / IP Logged  
I think there is a misunderstanding here, what I am saying is not that the AudioQuest cables added anything, but that they did less to detract from the sound then a comparably priced Monster car cable. Thats it.
Page of 6

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic