icon

alarm with autostart 2005 nissan altima

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jknight118 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: December 11, 2004 at 7:31 PM / IP Logged  
I was told by the nissan dealer that if I have a viper alarm with autostart installed that it will void the factory warranty.  Is there any truth to this. Also, the car has the factory alarm and the shop that is doing the install told me that they could install the viper around the factory alarm so that my wife would not know and she could still use the nissan factory remote to lock and unlock the doors until Christmas when i give her the viper remotes. Is this possible or am I being lied to?  Please help
jdeluna 
Member - Posts: 31
Member spacespace
Posted: December 11, 2004 at 8:13 PM / IP Logged  
No adding an alarm will NOT void the warranty. Infact it is a law that the dealer can not deny you warranty work for aftermarket parts that you add to your car. To deny warranty coverage they must prove that the part you installed caused the warrantied part to go bad. Example is you install the aftermarket alarm system, your water pump on your engine goes bad during the warranty period. They must prove that the alarm system you installed caused your water pump to go bad. This is a law !!! Not many people know this as the dealers know and people will just believe the dealer. Good luck and God Bless.
jknight118 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 11, 2004 at 8:17 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the info. I appreciate it.  Can anyone offer me any help on the other stuff?  Is it possible to install a new alarm around the factory alarm and the factory alarm remotes can still lock and unlock the doors?
jdeluna 
Member - Posts: 31
Member spacespace
Posted: December 11, 2004 at 8:20 PM / IP Logged  

Here is part of the law:

The Law

Federal law sets forth requirements for warranties and contains a number of provisions to prevent vehicle manufacturers, dealers and others from unjustly denying warranty coverage. With regard to aftermarket parts, the spirit of the law is that warranty coverage cannot be denied simply because such parts are present on the vehicle, or have been used (see Attachment A).The warranty coverage can be denied only if the aftermarket part caused the malfunction or damage for which warranty coverage is sought. Disputes in this area usually boil down to arguments over facts and technical opinions, rather than arguments over interpretations of the law.

You can read more here, again good luck and God Bless.

http://www.sema.org/main/semaorghome.aspx?ID=8124

furredoutgixxer 
Member - Posts: 35
Member spacespace
Posted: December 11, 2004 at 8:22 PM / IP Logged  

under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty improvement act a manufacturer cannot make its vehicle warranty conditional on any brand of security system unless they offer it free of charge or the federal trade commission has specifically published that only a vehicle manufacturer's product may be used. the install shop can install the system without your wife knowing unless it has an extended range antenna. also the LED will be visable. hope this helps.

jknight118 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 11, 2004 at 9:52 PM / IP Logged  
I appreciate the help from everyone who responded.  THANKS GUYS :)  I promise this is the last question.  Is there anyway possible that having the viper installed and the factory alarm at the same time that something will get screwed up or is it that both alarms will not be hooked up at the same time.  I am just wondering how in the world is the guy going to install the viper yet I can still use the nissan remotes to lock and unlock the doors.  Is there a lead wire that comes off of the factory alarm that gets tied into the viper?
furredoutgixxer 
Member - Posts: 35
Member spacespace
Posted: December 11, 2004 at 9:57 PM / IP Logged  
basically he will hook up the viper so it disarms the factory alarm with unlock from the viper. things can get screwed up but if it is an authorized dealer they have to be certified by DEI. (the color is white with blue stripe in the drivers door at door module.)

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic