icon

Help with my amp? Repairable?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
shesaidshewas18 
Copper - Posts: 96
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 14, 2004 at 10:20 PM / IP Logged  
I have a Lightning Audio amp and it says 250.2A on it I believe. Its the Gunmetal type color with yellow outer edges. My problem is that the amp powers up, but then loses power seconds later. The "PROTECTION" light turns on , only for a few seconds after the radio is on. The fuses are fine (Checked with DMM). Can anyone recommend me on what I should do?
bullman96 
Silver - Posts: 294
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 14, 2004 at 10:25 PM / IP Logged  
your speakers voice coil(s) could be fried. check the resistance of the coils with a dmm
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 14, 2004 at 11:22 PM / IP Logged  
Your first test is to see if the speaker load is causing the shutdown.  Disconnect the RCA's in and disconnect the speakers.   Power up.  If the amp goes into protection again then you've isolated the problem to the amp itself.  It should have the benefit of being looked at for possibility of repair.
shesaidshewas18 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 14, 2004 at 11:53 PM / IP Logged  
stevdart, when you say "If the amp goes into protection again..." by that do you mean if the Protection light goes on then off? Or do you mean in the Protection light stays on or off?
shesaidshewas18 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 14, 2004 at 11:54 PM / IP Logged  
bullman96, could you perhaps help me out or post up a how-to on how to check the resistance of the coils? I have a DMM, but Im still trying to get a hang of using it.
Teamrf 
Gold - Posts: 1,031
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2004 at 1:43 AM / IP Logged  

Take the subs out of your box, and test your voice coils for ohms...

~The Rookie~
Rookie of the year that is...
Don't let the smoke out of your equiptment..it doesn't go back in.
kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 15, 2004 at 8:46 AM / IP Logged  

as stevdart suggested... test the amp in a "no load" situation....leave the RCA cables connected so it sees an input source, but disconnect your speaker wires at the output....   when powered up now does the amp still go into and stay in protect?   then the problem is in the amp.... i would tend to suspect a blown output driver as opposed to a power supply problem.....

if it doesnt then hook up a test speaker to each channel and see if it works..if it does you've got a speaker problem ( possible VC) or a short in the wiring....   it shouldnt be too tough at all to at least narrow down where the problem lies.....

Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
shesaidshewas18 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2004 at 12:28 PM / IP Logged  
Much thanks to your guys' help. I'll keep you guys updated with my situation. Again, much thanks
shesaidshewas18 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2004 at 4:18 PM / IP Logged  
Oh BTW, I havent ran any of those tests yet, but let me tell you guys this... Currently in my car, I have 2 AudioBahn 12" subs (unsure if they are dvc's or not) and a AudioBahn amp. Everything works fine. I used the same 12's to test out the LightningAudio amp. Could we cancel out the speakers being the reason why the amp isnt working? Or should I just test out the amp without any speaker connections?
shesaidshewas18 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2004 at 7:34 PM / IP Logged  
Ok, I tried installin the amp without the speaker wires, and the Protection light still turned on then off... I tried searchin the net for info about output drivers and power supplies for amps, but I had no luck. Any suggestions?
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic