icon

Which DEI System to get?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
SHOnoff 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2004 at 12:00 AM / IP Logged  

Okay, I'm looking at getting a 2-way Remote Start/Alarm system for my new toy (2002 Pathfinder LE) and I have a few choices. First I was looking at the Commando 2-way system ( www.commandoalarms.com) but then I found some better quality (DEI) units for comparable prices. So here's my question...which one of these is the best and/or which one should I get??

1) Clifford Matrix RSX 3.5 2-way (4-button LCD Pager) System
2) Viper 791XV 2-way (4-button LCD Pager) System
3) Avital 4400 2-way (2-button LCD Pager) System
I can get each one in the $170-$200 range (no installation), so price isn't much of an issue when comparing. I'd just like to know which is the best unit and any suggestions/advice you guys might be able to offer. Also, if you have any other systems that you think would be better, please feel free to mention that as well. Thanks in advance!

P.S. - Which of the DEI accessories are worth getting?  I'm referring to the ones listed on this page: http://www.caraudio-caralarms.com/accessories.html

2002 Pathfinder LE 4x4 - stock
1995 Taurus SHO 5-speed - modded
wblakes 
Copper - Posts: 202
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2004 at 12:07 AM / IP Logged  
in my opinion i go with clifford or viper. those two are pretty much identical. i like DEI alarms because they are easy to use and understand. i would look into a compustar if range is your top priority. i installed many vipers before and there were great. i bought two new cars over the summer and installed the compustar on both and i think it works better for me.
profuse007 
Gold - Posts: 2,015
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2004 at 12:23 AM / IP Logged  
autopage rs-720LCD would be another consideration. havent use it nor install it, but the wireing option are very similar to DEI's, cheaper price.
Houston,TX
"The two most common elements in the universe are H+ and stupidity" (Ellison).
cgalvin29 
Member - Posts: 35
Member spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2004 at 12:50 AM / IP Logged  
the rs-720 is identical to the rs-855 LCD the major difference is the 855 uses FM while the 720 uses AM so if range is important i would go with the 855 i think it a great unit and just as good or better than the 791 or clifford
SHOnoff 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2004 at 8:37 AM / IP Logged  

cgalvin29 wrote:
the rs-720 is identical to the rs-855 LCD the major difference is the 855 uses FM while the 720 uses AM so if range is important i would go with the 855 i think it a great unit and just as good or better than the 791 or clifford

Does it matter if the Viper 791 is factory refurbished?  Is it possible that there might be less of a chance of having problems with the brain/remote since it's already been refurbished?  Because I found this on ebay.  Also, someone mentioned the difference in the AutoPage systems in using AM vs. FM bands...what do the DEI systems use??  Thanks.

SHOnoff 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2004 at 11:42 AM / IP Logged  

One other question.  What does it mean if something is called "b stock?"  The one Clifford 3.5 system I found had that phrase in the description.  Does that mean it has been refurbished or something? 

profuse007 
Gold - Posts: 2,015
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2004 at 11:45 AM / IP Logged  
seriously, i wouldnt mind buying factory refurbished. most likely, its just an open package and sent back to viper to repackaged. then again, i could be wrong.
SHOnoff wrote:

Does it matter if the Viper 791 is factory refurbished? Is it possible that there might be less of a chance of having problems with the brain/remote since it's already been refurbished? Because I found this on ebay. Also, someone mentioned the difference in the AutoPage systems in using AM vs. FM bands...what do the DEI systems use?? Thanks.

Houston,TX
"The two most common elements in the universe are H+ and stupidity" (Ellison).
riceman 
Copper - Posts: 109
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2004 at 12:08 PM / IP Logged  
I personally would go with the clifford matrix 3.5 because it has a carbon fiber remote and its name but if you like the remote blue like the viper then go for it because that is bascially the only differece between the two. They are both DEI . Both have three extra channels. If money is an issue or if you dont care about name brand then go with the autopage 855. I remembered hooking one up before n it was easy n it had alot more functions with like 7 channels, if i remember correctely. I also dont recommend buying anything that is refurbish. Because not everything that is refurbish is competely fixed. Most of the time these units get sent in with no info on wat is wrong with the unit n the tech. just checks to see if it powers up n sends it out again. So save yourself the headache dont buy refurb and dont buy off ebay. In the end you really dont save that much. Unless you are planing on installing this yourself. The cost of the alarm plus install is gonna be about the same as if you buy from a store just alittle bit cheaper. If something is wrong with the unit then tough cookies your gonna have to pay for them to remove it n then pay again for them to reinstall it, n good luck trying to get warranty from those ebay sellers. Sometimes they are very hard to reach. Anyways good luck. 
kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 15, 2004 at 1:20 PM / IP Logged  

my vote would be for the Matrix 3.5   we sell lots of them and havent seen any problems.....

B stock is indeed another way of saying "refurbished"..which is another way of saying " it's already been blown up by some dumb DIY'er and had to be replaced "  i would beware of " B stock units " period.....

Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic