the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

punch hx2 blown! what subs now?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
~AFAccord~ 
Copper - Posts: 59
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 18, 2004 at 4:03 AM / IP Logged  

pimpincavy wrote:
Someone said they have never sen a sub that blew and would no longer move.

The reason your sub would not move is because it the wreckless power thrown on it was not enough clean power to move it correctly, thus merely generating heat and physically melting the voice coil and welding it in place, locking the sub as you stated.  And I meant no offense by that, it's just how these things work. 

Adire Audio is a very reputable company with great products at great prices.  I used two tempest 15"s in a sealed box in the trunk of a honda accord a few years back when all they offered was the shiva, tempest, and maelstrom as home audio subs, and squeezed out a legal 153.7dB on an AudioControl meter.  They were powered with a JBL 1200watt rms amp and ran just fine for as long as I tortured them.  That was entertaining to say the least to watch this $450 setup blow away many other extremely expensive setups.  My only complaint was the awful sound quality at these brutal levels, but that was soon remedied by a tahoe who wanted a close-up view of my head unit. punch hx2 blown! what subs now? - Page 4 - Last Post -- posted image. 

http://www.adireaudio.com/

Black Cherry
"Experience is something you never get until just after you need it."
fuseblower 
Silver - Posts: 403
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 20, 2004 at 8:45 AM / IP Logged  

These subs are rated to handle 500rms according the RF's owner's manual.  If you are putting 350 rms to the sub and they blew it sounds like a distortion problem. 

There are many reasons why a sub would stop playing.  You can over push a sub and cause the voice coil to freeze or break or your can feed a sub a lot of distortion and ruin it. 

AFAccord, distortion is not the only thing that can kill a sub.  Pushing more than the recommend RMS to a sub of a long period of time can also cause it the stop working.  Subs use air to keep cool like a car uses water, oil and air to stay cool.  If the air that the sub breeds is hotter than what the speaker can withstand and the sub is being demanded to go beyond it's true ratings and some point and time the sub will fail. 

Maxst 
Silver - Posts: 866
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 20, 2004 at 10:32 AM / IP Logged  

I vote for the shivas as well.  Wire them in Parallel Parallel Parallel.  Making a 2ohm connection. I bet you will notice that they hit harder then the kickers.  Since the Xmax on them is prolly double.lol

Audiobahn!  dare you to say that here.  Audiobahn is the S#$T of the world.  You stay far far away from their "products"

If you go with the shivas, i say scrap the proted box and go with a sealed box.  You could make one easy, and it shouldnt have any of the problems you are facing.  that is if the subs weren't getting a clipped signal and the simply fried.

I need quality equipment, feel free to donate.
turbotyphoon69 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: December 20, 2004 at 5:58 PM / IP Logged  
i want to keep the same box, so im guessing i will need a filter right? and are u sayin i should wire the each sub in parallel then the subs in parallel again? because the fosgate is made to run bridged at 4 ohms not 2, but u can run two ohms to each channel. And in this confusion I still havent ordered them because they wont be able ro run seperately at 2ohms or togethere at 4ohms
1993 GMC typhoon pearl white- 3in drop with 18s
1996 Grand Cherokee frost white- Lifted on 20in Rims and 33in All Terrain KO's
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 20, 2004 at 9:09 PM / IP Logged  
You are right. Dual 8 ohm subs will only be able to present either a 2 or 8 ohm load on your amp (if you're using two). All the more reason to buy a brahma instead punch hx2 blown! what subs now? - Page 4 - Last Post -- posted image.. Maybe a 10 or 12 in a vented box.
fuseblower 
Silver - Posts: 403
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2004 at 10:31 AM / IP Logged  
If you have to dual voice coil subwoofer you can run them in a mono 4 ohm load if they both have 4 ohm voice coils. 
turbotyphoon69 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2004 at 12:33 PM / IP Logged  

ok since i cant use the shiva subs...ANY other options thats got a good bang for the buck ratio?

i could run a single L7 15"?

1993 GMC typhoon pearl white- 3in drop with 18s
1996 Grand Cherokee frost white- Lifted on 20in Rims and 33in All Terrain KO's
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2004 at 5:06 PM / IP Logged  
If you don't mind going with Adire you could try a single Tempest. Its a 15" 8 ohm DVC sub. It should be pretty loud and it goes for only $150.
wayland1985 
Silver - Posts: 353
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2004 at 6:37 PM / IP Logged  
Has anybody recommended Resonant Engineering's Subs yet???  They have a nice little lineup.... 
~wayland
Page of 4

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic