icon

03 silverado w/ rds

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
goinglow 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: December 29, 2004 at 11:59 AM / IP Logged  
I have an 03 silverado with an RDS stereo, I'm replacing it this friday with the new Pioneer AVIC-N1.  I need to know what I'm getting myself into, I've heard RDS controls other things n the vehicle besides the stereo and I might have to relocate it?  I do know that I will loose my door chime unless I buy some stupid adapter, which is no biggie, any help would be appreciated.  Also there is no Bose or On-Star.  Thanks.
dj002 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: December 29, 2004 at 2:11 PM / IP Logged  
Just put a Kenwood deck in my 04 Sierra, you lose the door chime and seat belt chime which are quite fine by me =). I usually end up cutting the wires on those anyways! lol
The only other thing I read about was the powerseats memory function. Hope that helped some...
jstruckman 
Copper - Posts: 465
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 29, 2004 at 6:44 PM / IP Logged  

RDS has nothing to do with the rest of the vehicle, RDS stands for radio data systems, info that can be displayed from radio stations. You have to worry about the Class 2 data bus, you do need to get an adapter to retain the door chimes and to keep the data bus happy. There are several companies that make adapters for these vehicles. Do not worry about it being an RDS radio. (i am so sick of hearing about people getting scared of RDS radios!)

Jazzy

goinglow 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: December 29, 2004 at 8:03 PM / IP Logged  

and to keep the data bus happy

well i dont want the door chime, but what ya mean by keeping the data bus happy, what else does it do?  I'd get the adapter if i need to but i dont care about the door chime.  Thanks.

theronsmith 
Member - Posts: 36
Member spacespace
Posted: December 29, 2004 at 8:28 PM / IP Logged  

If you dont get the adapter modual you ill have to fish for an acc. wire somewhere else. The modual usually comes with a door chime built right in the unit....this unit will also give you 12v acc. Never give away or sell your factory deck....keep it around there has been times when gmc has a recall and the only way to fix it is to have the factory deck pluged back in.

chevy II
Wiseguy 
Copper - Posts: 159
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 29, 2004 at 11:34 PM / IP Logged  

why do people say the airbags might go off if you dont relocate the rds radio? is it just a myth?

Clarion DXZ745MP
Kove ZX504
Kove AG1400
Kove 12" T3 Armageddon
Kove 6.5" Compaxials
WILDER 6.5" Pro-Audio Drivers
Custom Pre-amp
Wiseguy 
Copper - Posts: 159
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 29, 2004 at 11:35 PM / IP Logged  
how do u know if you have a class 2 data bus?
Clarion DXZ745MP
Kove ZX504
Kove AG1400
Kove 12" T3 Armageddon
Kove 6.5" Compaxials
WILDER 6.5" Pro-Audio Drivers
Custom Pre-amp
mobilevt 
Copper - Posts: 73
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2004 at 3:13 AM / IP Logged  

Regarding the door chime, how would I go about disabling THAT while keeping my factory radio?  I already disabled the seatbelt sensor under the seat but wondering about that door....

Thanks!

Sean

Emergency Vehicle Technician
Got Freedom? Thank a vet!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic