icon

rear defrost chevy malibu

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
kbelue2 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: December 29, 2004 at 10:14 PM / IP Logged  

I just installed an alarm with remote start and keyless entry. I have a few extra channels and I want to turn on the rear defrost. can I do this.? 

also can I make it to where I can leave the driver window opened and croll it up with the alarm?  thanks     kenneth

snguyen 
Silver - Posts: 281
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2004 at 9:00 AM / IP Logged  

Test the wire that goes to the defroster button, it will be either (-) or (+).  Use a relay to supply the proper trigger to the wire you find and use the same value to the defroster.  Makesure you fuse the value that is going to the factory defroster.  I recommend using a channel that you can use to pulse or latched whenever you need to turn the defroster on or else you will have the defroster coming on in the summer months. 

On the window part, you will need a mod for that....try dei

kbelue2 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 31, 2004 at 1:39 PM / IP Logged  

OK, first off I found the wire that the rear defrost grounds to turn on the defrost but grounding it only momentaraly turned on the defrost. the timer is electronics inside the climate control unit.  I had to take it apart and solder wires to both sides of the micro switch.then run them to a relay. now it works great.

on the windows both sides of the motor rest at ground. I cut the one that  gets 12 volts when the window goes up and put the normaly closed side of a relay between them. then I put 12 volts to 86 and 87. and the alarm grounds 85. now I can leave my driver window down and remote put it up. it works great.

I just thout you may want to know before buying a (mod)..........

snguyen 
Silver - Posts: 281
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 31, 2004 at 5:42 PM / IP Logged  

How does it know when to stop?  or are u watching and releasing the channel as it reach the top?  just curious.

kbelue2 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 02, 2005 at 12:12 PM / IP Logged  
it takes 6 seconds to roll up the window.  the channel on my alarm has a 6 sec. max ground pulse.
Herbert 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2005 at 5:36 PM / IP Logged  

kbleu2, when you soldered the two wires to the climate control unit, how did you wire the relay?  I'm thinking about trying this with a 2001 bonneville and I'm wondering how difficult it is.

kbelue2 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 07, 2005 at 11:00 AM / IP Logged  
it was not difficult at all. you will have to take apart the climate control unit. that was the scary part. then I soldered a small gage wire to each side of the switch that turned on the defrost. (you have to be carful not to get the bord to hot. )then one of the wires go to pin 30 on the relay. the other to pin 87.  if the channel you want to control the defrost is ground pulsed connect it to pin86 and 12v to pin 85. good luck. 

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic