icon

Viper 550 ESP to 95 Explorer

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
catfan 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2004 at 11:01 AM / IP Logged  
Looking for a little help on installing a Viper 550esp on a 95 Explorer. I'm most interested in the remote start/keyless entry. I have reviewed the Explorer wiring diagram and it states "non-grounding" for Neutral Safety Wire, then says "OEM Switch opens Starter Circuit". Do I hook up the Viper neutral wire or not?
Would greatly appreciate if someone would list Viper wire color to Explorer wire color. What needs to be hooked up and what does not.
Explorer does have a regular key - no by-pass required.
Viper has a relay for starter kill relay. IS it necessary to hook this up? I'm soldering all connections.
Thanks in advance for your help!
daniel2002p 
Silver - Posts: 524
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2004 at 11:25 AM / IP Logged  
you do not need to hook up the neutral safety wire, and the starter kill is an option.
2005 Toyota Corolla S
    1.8L VVT-i I-4
Always double check your wires with a DMM!!!
Do Not Use A Test Light!!!
MECP Certified Installer!
Best Buy 665 - IN IT TO WIN IT! TEAM MOBLE!
catfan 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: December 31, 2004 at 12:30 PM / IP Logged  
I have installed a viper550esp. All wires soldered and taped with zip locks.
Big Problem! The remotes will not arm/disarm/panic or remote start. I can't figure out why they will not work. I placed a jumper and connected my dmm to the blue and green wire exiting the control module and pushed both arm and disarm buttons checking for door lock/unlock signal... stays at 12v. I can push the manual buttons in the car and the dmm will go to gound... as it should. Control module is just not responding to remotes. Something is definitely wrong here.
I can disarm the alarm by turning the ign. on and pushing the valet button one time. This is the only way I can disarm the alarm.
The hood pin activates the alarm as it should. The parking lights blink as they should. The door trigger sets the alarm off when door is opened. all ok here.
Remote start - nothing working here because of no signal from the remotes. I checked my brake switch. it is working properly 12v when pressed.. The neutral switch wire not hooked. I checked with 12vinstallforum and they said it does not need to be connected. I checked the vehicle and it will not start in gear. I have not hooked up the tach wire yet, but this should not keep remote start from working. Still deciding where to hook tach wire up. Wiring diagram says tan / YELLOW at coil, but there is no tan / YELLOW, just a WHITE/ yellow, must be it.
Also have not hooked up starter kill relay.
There is only one ground wire for the whole system from the control module. I'm suprised there is no heavy ga. ground wire from the satellite relay switches. All wires from satellite relay are hooked up except orange (asscesory).
I sure need some help with the remote portion. No good without them.
Thanks... Bob
kevindanielk 
Member - Posts: 42
Member spacespace
Posted: January 01, 2005 at 2:05 AM / IP Logged  

The neutral safety switch wire, BLACK/ white, on the viper 550 must be connected to ground for the remote start to operate. When this wire is grounded, the alarm thinks the vehicle is in park or neutral and allows it to start. If it isn't grounded, the alarm assumes the vehicle is in gear and will not try to start. It must be connected to ground on this alarm.

The remotes need to be learned to the brain of the viper 550. They could have gone out of sync with the brain if they were not used for a while, assuming this is a used unit or the remotes are not the ones that came with this brain from the factory. You need to follow the remote learn procedure in the back of the install manual and program the remotes to standard configuration. This should solve that problem.

The starter kill relay is not necessary. Also, make sure the hood is locked when you try to remote start. Ground on this grey wire will prevent the alarm from starting.

As for the tach, if it is not hooked up, the vehicle will start and then immediately shut off because the brain cannot see the engine is running. The tach wire can also be hooked up to one of the two fuel injector wires on any one of your injectors. Usually, all your injectors will have one wire that is the same color on all the injectors. You have to hook up the tach wire to the other color wire on one injector, not on the common color wire. If your fuel injectors happen to have the same color wires, the one that reads AC voltage while the engine is running, and increases in voltage as engine speed does, that is the correct wire. Then, you must follow the install manual to learn the tach. If all else is hooked up correctly, your truck should start. Also, if this a used alarm, make sure the brain is set to tach sensing in the "engine monitoring" feature in the program menu. It will not learn the tach otherwise. Hope this all helps.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic