icon

95 Camry Remote Starter blows fuse

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
rfollett 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: January 01, 2005 at 11:28 AM / IP Logged  

I am not an auto mechanic but I was able to install a DesignTech International remote starter in my wife's 95 Camry.

I ran into a discrepancy in the manufacturer's database wiring colors and the readout on the DC MM.  I followed the results of the DC MM and everything worked.  Problem is the remote starter blows the 30 A fuse after the car is remote started and then started with a key.

Ignition 1 wire was reported by DesignTech's database as BLACK/ Orange but is showed 12 v in all key positions.  I used the BROWN / White wire which showed 12 v in only run and start positions which were the specs in their installation manual.

What is wrong with this picture?

Scott35 
Silver - Posts: 258
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 01, 2005 at 1:12 PM / IP Logged  
Try 12v white&WHITE/ red,starter BLACK/ white,and ignition as BLACK / YELLOW.
Tacomacrew
rfollett 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 01, 2005 at 3:06 PM / IP Logged  

The only colors I have to choose from are:

BLACK/ Orange (??),  Blue/Orange (Accessory),  BLACK / YELLOW (ignition 2),  BLACK/ White (starter),   BROWN / Orange (??),  BROWN / White (I assumed ignition 2 based on voltage readings),  and Brown (??)

The website for DesignTech claimed the BLACK/ Orange would be the ingition 1 wire.  The installation instructions said the wire would show no voltage when in the off or accessory position.   It actually shows 12v in off, accessory, run and start postions.  Perhaps I have some other electrical problem that the BLACK/ Orange wire has voltage when it shouldn't?

Scott35 
Silver - Posts: 258
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 01, 2005 at 3:13 PM / IP Logged  
Even the database on this site list 3 different versions of the 95-96 Camry
Tacomacrew
mobileworks 
Copper - Posts: 136
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 01, 2005 at 5:28 PM / IP Logged  

which fuse is it blowing.?

rfollett 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 01, 2005 at 11:39 PM / IP Logged  
The 30A fuse on the + 12v power line to the remote starter (leading from the battery).
JWorm 
Platinum - Posts: 2,208
Platinum spacespace
Posted: January 02, 2005 at 12:31 AM / IP Logged  
I have never seen a BROWN / white wire in a Toyota for an ignition or accessory wire. Disconnect it, it is probably what is blowing fuses.
starter - BLACK/ white
igniton 1 - BLACK / YELLOW
ignition 2 - BLACK/ orange (this wire may actually test as an accessory, but hooking it up as an ignition shouldn't hurt. If it is in fact an ignition and you hook it up as an accessory the car might not start properly and you may get a check engine light)
Accessory - pink/blue (not needed, only powers radio and other non essential items like the windows)

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic