icon

help needed on a 2004 Trialblazer!

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Gstory 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: January 02, 2005 at 9:29 PM / IP Logged  

I have an 2004 Trailblazer without the Bose system, Onstar, or XM, and i just installed a panasonic head unit in it.. i purchased the Metra harness with the chimer just to be safe with the Class II databus system. When i first connected all my wires i had no power to my radio (used multimeter to check and i had constant power but not switch). so i drove to a local car audio shop and they showed me a pink wire under my steering wheel to splice into so i would have a switch. After i spliced into the wire radio worked great, retained power worked for radio, lights, windows, etc. Everything was great except for the fact that my car will no longer crank!!! so i unhooked my splice and the car cranked up but then would not shut off. after i disconnected the battery and reconnected it i'm back to the car not cranking at all, but i still have power (switch and constant). can someone please help with this. is there just some trick to the security system that i'm missing?

Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 02, 2005 at 10:18 PM / IP Logged  
humm, ,i woulda used the orange wire in the ignition harness. umm, that has me pretty stumped.  Possibly try putting the factory radio back in.   Which metra harness did you use?
2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
Gstory 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 02, 2005 at 10:26 PM / IP Logged  

i used the metra Metra VT-GMRC-01 which circuit city and crutchfield said would work... i put the factory radio back in but still nothing happened. i also noticed one more thing that i forgot to mention before- my security light never comes on on my dash but all the features still work. don't know if that means anything or will help but my father and i have been stumped by this all weekend. thanks for whatever help.

Javelin3o4 
Copper - Posts: 239
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2005 at 1:33 AM / IP Logged  

you dont need the relocation harness for the trailblazer, or atleast the on I didnt, did not need it, you just have to run your own ignition wire from under the dash.

Javelin3o4 
Copper - Posts: 239
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2005 at 1:36 AM / IP Logged  
you can try the white wire under the dash should be next to the pink, thats the 2nd igntion wire. other wise orange and brown in the same location are accessory wires.
Gstory 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2005 at 9:04 AM / IP Logged  
i'm not looking for a wire to hook into, i have switch power and constant now. what i'm looking for is an answer to why my car will not crank. it will not make a noise. my fuel pump still runs when i switch the key to "run" but i get nothing at all when i turn to start. has anyone ever had this happen before, and, if so, how can i fix the fact that my car won't crank.
misterjimbo 
Silver - Posts: 535
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2005 at 12:25 PM / IP Logged  
security light came on? that means you have a passlock issue. does the light come on when you try to start the car? if you try more than three times to start the car and the vehicle is not reading the key correctly the car will go into long term lock up.  turn the key in the ignition and leave it in the run position for twenty minutes. that silll get it out of lock up. before you do this check to see if when you got ign power for the radio that you didint cut any other wires. most importantly the thin yellow and the thin orange black wires which are for the passlock.
x93PGTx 
Copper - Posts: 7
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2005 at 12:41 PM / IP Logged  
actually you should be going off an accessory wire, not ignition... use the orange wire.
MECP Certified Installer
93 Probe GT - Lots of Mods
89 Probe GT Turbo - SOLD :(
tech460 
Copper - Posts: 118
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 04, 2005 at 12:16 PM / IP Logged  
OK. First thing first, the piece you have will work but you probably have an old unit that has outdated software. Check with Metra and find out if the piece you have has the software update you need. I believe they are up to version 3.2 now for 04' vehicles. Now running a new accesssory is a band aid to the problem and should be avoided. What it sounds like to me is that you have the accessory from the ignition harness going to both the radio and the Metra piece. If that is correct that is what your problem is. Remove the power from the Metra piece and all should be fine but your Metra piece may be damaged as you put 12v in the output and probably damaged the transistor inside. I have had customers do this with the car running and the car won't stop. Strange I know but when you short a computer interface who knows what code the radio is spitting out to the BCM.
Gstory 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 04, 2005 at 1:28 PM / IP Logged  
thanks for all of your help, but i finally took it to the cheverolet place because nothing has worked and i've even had a couple of people come look at it.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic