icon

Viper 791XV Remote Start Problem

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
kissmy*ss 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2005 at 2:30 PM / IP Logged  

Over the past summer I had a 791XV Viper Alarm System installed on my 2004 Silverado SS. Everything works fine with the alarm and remote start.

The problem is when I remote start my truck the transmission seems to mess up. It acts like it is in what GM calls the “limp home mode”. This is what happens:

I remote start my truck. When I get ready to leave, I get in my truck, put in the key and turn it to on. Then I take off. When I take off though it seems like the transmission is in high gear (4th). I have no take off power and I have to push the gas peddle way down to take off. I can cure this problem by turning off the truck for a minute or so then restart it with the key. This truck is an automatic and seems to stay in 4th gear when I use the remote start and will not downshift from 4th gear without me turning the truck off and then starting it with the key.

I had this alarm professionally installed so I do not know much about the wiring. I just wanted to see if anyone else has had problems like this and if you know what I need to do.

Thanks in advanced

Scott35 
Silver - Posts: 258
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2005 at 2:37 PM / IP Logged  
Is the check engine lt on? There may be a second ign wire they missed, a white one, which will lead to tranny damage if not attached.
Tacomacrew
snguyen 
Silver - Posts: 281
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2005 at 2:37 PM / IP Logged  

Looks like they didn't power up all the ignition wires.  You need to take the vehicle back to have them correct the issues.

chiewlai 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2005 at 5:36 PM / IP Logged  
stoop 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2005 at 6:19 PM / IP Logged  
or if time and money are issues you could just tap the break to kill the motor and then just start as normal
stoop
kissmy*ss 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2005 at 9:10 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks all.  stoop, that is what I currently do.  Its not really a big deal to me.  I will probably not take it back to the place that I had it installed seeing how is is 9 hours away.  I was in Omaha over the summer and had it installed then.  I have found a local shop that can do it though, but I will be out some money for them to trace down the problem.  Thanks for all of the advice. I figured that was what was going on.
kissmy*ss 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 07, 2005 at 1:09 PM / IP Logged  

This looks like the beginning of a big problem.  To answer a few questions.  As far as what lights are on when this happens.  The security light and the check engine light are both on.  I call the dealer that done the installation today and they told me that there was nothing wrong with the installation or the alarm system.  Imagine what they said, they said it was the vehicles problem.  They said the choke was open on the vehicle.  They said to solve the problem just punch the gas while the truck is in park to disengage the choke.  Well I tried this and guess what it didn't work.  I talked to one local dealer and he said he couldn't troubleshoot it or fix it because it would void the lifetime warranty on the alarm since they weren't the original installers.  Another dealer said he would be happy to look at it.  One more thing to add to it.  When I use the remote start to start the truck, it tries to start it and doesn't start the first time.  Then it will try a second time but this time it will turn the starter much longer, even after the truck is running.  I do not think this is normal either.  But also I think this problem is part of the big problem.  Once one is solved both will be solved.  Now this is where I run into trouble.  Could you guys give me exact things for the local dealer to check out since they didn't originally install the system so when I go to them I can hand them some things that they should look a t where it will not take up as much shop time because they are going to charge 45 dollars an hour to look at it.  All the help I can get on this would be great.

Thanks,

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic