icon

How To Blow A Sub Intentionally??

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
91blaze 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spacespace
Posted: October 22, 2002 at 10:28 AM / IP Logged  
i have 3 1000 watt subs theyre dual 6. i had them all hooked up to my amp and blew one, then another and i couldnt pop the last one so i could just send them all back together. i think theyre all refurbished sh*t anyway so im at least going to get them all replaced since the third is probably on its last leg. anyways how can i go about blowing it without using my amp? i took the amp and box out of my car and i dont want to screw my amp up anyways. they say they check them all b4 replacing? how can i finish this last on off? thanks for any help
chriswallace187 
Gold - Posts: 1,661
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 22, 2002 at 11:03 AM / IP Logged  

hook wires up to the speaker and plug them into the two alternating prongs of a wall outlet in your house.  We did this at work with an already defective speaker(cone was unglued from the basket).  The speaker made an insanely loud 60 hz noise for about 3 seconds and then died.  You should invite some friends over to watch.

C Renner's Auto Electronix
My service is cheap, quick, and good - pick any two
NyxBass 
Silver - Posts: 226
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 22, 2002 at 5:02 PM / IP Logged  
Yep, that's what I would do too. Especially a big sub, 60 Hz is like perfect. Even more fun in a box (louder). But expect the voice voil to melt and possibly short the circuit, tripping the breaker. Choose a circuit that doesn't matter when it is tripped. Also, 120v 60Hz AC is not like an amp's output, it is DEADLY, so do this carefully. If possible, hook it up with no exposed wire to a circuit with a switch. That way it is easy to be standing away from any possible spark or anything. Enjoy, let us know how it goes.
/NyxBass
Jonny 2x4 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: October 26, 2002 at 8:01 AM / IP Logged  
yes, underpowering is the best way to go
Give me a place to stand, and I can move the earth -- Archimedes
91blaze 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spacespace
Posted: October 26, 2002 at 11:43 AM / IP Logged  
i dont think it did anything to the voice coil. there was a spark but all it did was blow solder onto the back of the aluminum cone from the tinsel lead/speaker wire connector. it doesnt read on a meter though so i guess that will work.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic