icon

Speaker opinions wanted

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
toolapcfan 
Member - Posts: 15
Member spacespace
Posted: October 24, 2002 at 8:26 AM / IP Logged  
I'm going to be purchasing new speakers for my '93 Nissan Sentra SE-R.  However, I've been "out of the game" for awhile and I'm not sure what brands I should consider.  I believe all four OEM speaker locations are 5.25".  I would like to do components throughout, or at least up front (I'm installing power windows and I need something to cover the manual crank hole and planned to use the tweeters for that).  My budget for the speakers is $300.  I do have an old RF series one, 2 channel amp that I can use to power one pair of the spekers, likely the fronts, and run the rears off of deck power for fill.  My Clarion deck puts out like 50X4 I think.  I don't want to underpower and ruin the rear speakers, so I might consider buying a 4 channel amp to power all the components and not use deck power at all.  It really depends on the needs of the component sets and the price of the amp that you'd suggest using.  Also let me know where to look for the best deals on this stuff.  I would appreciate anyone's input on this.  I'm also going to be putting an alarm in and I've used a Valiant alarm in the past that I really felt was a well built alarm with a lot of features for the price.  I think I paid like $60 for it.  Anyways, let me know what you guys suggest for that as well.  Thanks.
sheriff 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: October 24, 2002 at 10:58 AM / IP Logged  
I would like to recomend the boston acoustic components or mb quart components.  I like very bright highs and these both have them.  It very much depends on what kind of sound you are looking for.  These two speakers are both durable for when you want to listen to them loud for a long period of time.  If you are going to consider using an amp for the front only, don't.  A deck only puts out about 17-22 watts of power rms.  The amp will put out 50 watts rms.  Also with these kind of components you do not want to underpower them.  I would suggest alpine V12 or PPI 4 channel amps.  The PPI Art 404 is a 50X4 amp and works great.  For the speaker in the rear you can also use a coaxial which will make the cost a little more resonable.  I have been finding great deals on ebay for audio equipment.  These brands can be pricey in the store and you can get them on ebay for half the price.  The only thing about boston is that the warranty only works for the original buyer.  However, I had no problems with my Bostons at all.  The PPI amp is older and you can also find it on Ebay.  Only buy from someone with good feedback (You will know this if you are familiar with ebay).  I have had really good luck with ebay.      Also, stay away from the fx line of bostons (they are cheap and they sound that way).  Once you figure out what you want, go to ebay check out the prices, then go into a selling dealer and listen to them.  I don't know much about alarm systems (Clifford) is a good brand.  GOOD LUCK!
EPristia
toolapcfan 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 24, 2002 at 12:45 PM / IP Logged  
It would appear that the MB Quart Discus series is right at the top of my price range.  Anyone have any comments on these? 
sheriff 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 24, 2002 at 12:52 PM / IP Logged  
I just bought the MB Quart Discus series.  They sound very good for an entry level speaker.  I bought the 6X9s and the 5.25s both for a little over 200 brand new on ebay.  The seller also gives you a 14 day return policy and 1 year warranty.  They are very bright for the mids and highs so if you want a more bass type speaker these will not be for you. 
EPristia
toolapcfan 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 24, 2002 at 2:45 PM / IP Logged  
Hey sheriff, do you recall the name of the seller you bought your stuff from? Thanks. 
sheriff 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 24, 2002 at 2:49 PM / IP Logged  
caraudiowarehouse was the seller.
EPristia
mwhcai1 
Member - Posts: 21
Member spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2002 at 9:08 PM / IP Logged  

Check for the MB Quart speakers on EBay.  I have been looking and have found the Premium series components for around $200 new.  They cost $680 at a local car audio shop.  The Discuss and Reference lines are also out there for under $200.  Just stay away from the lowest line Discuss components.  They come with a cheap little in line crossover.

I have spent some time listening to the Boston Acoustics speakers at several car audio shops and found the Pro Series components to sound very good, but they are still well over $300 on EBay.  The lower lines don't sound nearly as good.  The aluminum tweeter on the Pro Series speakers makes their lower lines sound cheap.

crraig wilson 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2002 at 10:15 PM / IP Logged  
take a listen to the alpine SPR series components.........I love them. just installed a set for a customer today with a V-12 5ch amp it rocks good...
craig wilson

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic