the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Custom Enclosure: Downfiring

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 19, 2005 at 4:08 PM / IP Logged  

Contact the wizard of oz at Nakamichi and ask them if you can mount it downfiring.  Also tell them to send you all the other t/s parameters for the speaker.

You probably can. 

As everyone else said, the box design is otherwise EXACTLY LIKE NORMAL. 

All you need is feet, 1 inch or high would do the trick. 

Also, what's the deal with Naks home stuff?  It all looks so B&O.

New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
uthinkuknoaudio 
Silver - Posts: 760
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 19, 2005 at 4:39 PM / IP Logged  
B&O? Anyways, i've tried contacting the wizard of oz at Nak and they never respond. How ould you keep it stuck to the floor though? When you hit a note, i don't want the enclosure to move...
"I don't play games. I play Nakamichi and that for real yo" - Probably some japanese kid said this in the early 80's trying to sell stereo out of his trunk lol.
kfr01 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 19, 2005 at 5:21 PM / IP Logged  

Hmm.. What kind of company doesn't respond to customers? ;-)

Be creative.  I can think of at least a dozen different ways to keep it from moving.  Brackets at each end.  Brackets on each foot.  A bracket on one foot.  Velcro.  A base built onto the box.  Make it freaking heavy.  Bolt it to the rear seat.  Bolt it to the side of the car.  Glue the feet to the carpeting.  Rope.  Bungie cable.  Duct tape. ;-) 

Half of those were kidding.  But seriously, take a pencil and a napkin and take 5 minutes to come up with some ideas.

http://www.bang-olufsen.com/   B&O makes "high end" *cough-over priced-cough* stuff they sell in fashion mall stores you see next to Gucci and Coach.  They seem to care more about form over function.  On first glance Nak's home stuff strikes me as having some of the same priorities.  Although, to be fair, both companies do have some innovative designs. 

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 19, 2005 at 5:52 PM / IP Logged  
I had a chance to test these B&O loudspeakers.  Amazing technology, amazing sound, everything they say they do is true, and if I had the money they'd be in my house right now.  But having the money is of course the problem!
Support the12volt.com
uthinkuknoaudio 
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 20, 2005 at 9:48 PM / IP Logged  
I tell you what, those Nakamichi Soundscapes are fantastic. They really are. They are very expensive, but they are very good. I don't think its fair to say that they do form over function. Why would they make the CD-45z? Its a plain head unit, looks like stock, and functions fantastically. Sounds crystal clear too even at high volumes. Either way you go, Nakamichi is a very good and reputable company. BTW, Nak did get back to me on my email to them and this is what they told me:

Box - 1 to 1.25 cu ft.

FS - 25-30 Hz

Qts - 0.35-0.45

Vas - 2.5 - 3.5 cu ft.

Xmax - 8mm

Got it everyone? Well i hope this helped determine how to make this box!

-Anthony

"I don't play games. I play Nakamichi and that for real yo" - Probably some japanese kid said this in the early 80's trying to sell stereo out of his trunk lol.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 20, 2005 at 10:01 PM / IP Logged  
uthink, you'll have to get back to your Nak friend and tell him those parameters are the skimpiest list we've ever seen.  And ask him what's up with variable Qts, Fs and Vas?  Tell him to ask somebody what parameters are needed to construct a box for SQ.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
uthinkuknoaudio 
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 20, 2005 at 10:08 PM / IP Logged  
Well here you go:

For SQ

Box - 1 cubic foot

FS - 28 Hz

Qts - 0.35

Vas - 3.0 cu ft.

Xmax - 8mm

Does that make sense to you now?

stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 20, 2005 at 10:41 PM / IP Logged  
Everything you say makes sense, uthink.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
kfr01 
Posted: January 21, 2005 at 12:11 AM / IP Logged  

DYohn wrote:
I had a chance to test these B&O loudspeakers.  Amazing technology, amazing sound, everything they say they do is true, and if I had the money they'd be in my house right now.  But having the money is of course the problem!

Hmm... I have to admit I'd developed a bias against them because of the external designer feel and the store fronts in fashion malls.  (I also get more than slightly turned off when some young metrosexual employee with too much gel in his hair is snotty to me because I don't fit the demographic he usually sells to.)

I downloaded the pdf file on the speaker.  I eat my words, my hat, put my foot in my mouth, whatever.  Wow.  Fully active design, on board adaptive dsp... looks very impressive.  How much is that speaker?

kfr01 
Posted: January 21, 2005 at 12:56 AM / IP Logged  
uthinkuknoaudio wrote:
I tell you what, those Nakamichi Soundscapes are fantastic. They really are. They are very expensive, but they are very good. I don't think its fair to say that they do form over function. Why would they make the CD-45z? Its a plain head unit, looks like stock, and functions fantastically. Sounds crystal clear too even at high volumes. Either way you go, Nakamichi is a very good and reputable company. BTW, Nak did get back to me on my email to them and this is what they told me:

I wasn't talking about their car stuff.  I was talking about the home stuff.  Most of the home stuff seems very form over function.  This is an opinion and based on my observation.  I don't think there is anything unfair about making such a statement.

Let me ask you this.  What is the marginal utility for each dollar spent on a soundscape system over the average price of a similarly performing unit?  i.e. For every extra dollar spent on the soundscape, how much added utility does it buy you?  What portion of that dollar is form?  What portion is function. 

Returns diminish very fast at the high end.  They do in just about every consumer product market.  This isn't new.  With Nakamichi's current home product line, I say with a reasonable amount of confidence that returns probably diminish faster than the average - because of their focus on form in the home line. 

Their car stuff is quite the opposite.  I love it.  No glitz.  No glam.  Just function.  Bravo to their car group.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic