icon

Kenwood amp prob!

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
BaggedTruck 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: January 19, 2005 at 10:23 PM / IP Logged  

I just wanted to see if anyone could help me...I recently got a kenwood amp, an older model, for pretty cheap-But when I hooked it up I kept blowing fuses.  So I got a test light and volt meter and checked it all out...come to find out when I have the Power and remote wires connected, there is a 3 volt charge coming out of the ground slot....Any ideas on what it could be and how to fix it, I'm semi-knowledgable a/b electronic work so any ideas would be helpful!!!

-Nick

Don't hop it...Bodydrop it
kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 20, 2005 at 10:07 AM / IP Logged  

does it blow the fuse as soon as you put it in, or only when you remote on the amp?

If it shags the fuse immediately, look for blown power FETs in the Power supply, if only when you remote it on, start at the other end and look for blown output drivers......

Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
BaggedTruck 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 20, 2005 at 2:53 PM / IP Logged  
When I hook up the power, then the remote, it blows the fuses as soon as the ground touches...so thats what i checked into to find out that the ground slot on the amp is putting out an appx. 3v charge.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 20, 2005 at 3:00 PM / IP Logged  
Fired amp, probably a bad power supply.  BTW, for safety's sake Ground should always be connected first, and power should only be manipulated with the battery disconnected...
Support the12volt.com
kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 20, 2005 at 4:28 PM / IP Logged  

my god man.... who let  you near electronics???     never connect power to an amp if the ground wire isnt hooked up.....

if it blows a fuse as soon as you hook up your main 12 source then you've got either a protection rectifier blown or blown FETs in the power supply... remove them and power it back up... if there is no short then replace them all even if only one is blown...also check your gate stoppers to make sure they are still within tolerence....

Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
BaggedTruck 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 20, 2005 at 10:59 PM / IP Logged  

First off I know how to install electronics, I was just doing this for trouble shooting...Ill hook up the ground and remote first tomorrow and THEN hook up pwr and see what happens then...so im sure ill be back to figure this out...also when you are referring to power FETs , what are you referring too, thats a new term to me...

BaggedTruck 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2005 at 7:36 PM / IP Logged  

ok ... over the weekend I replaced the diode for the ground b/c when it was tested by myself and a guy at an electronics shop, it showed to be bad...when i replaced it , put it all back together, i hooked up the ground, remote and power...as soon as i turned the h/u on it blew both fuses again...is this the FETs doing this? if not whare some other suggestions for this problem? Thank you for all the help so far!!!

-Nick

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic