icon

Capacitors

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
fastone 
Copper - Posts: 83
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2005 at 11:02 PM / IP Logged  
Ok, here goes my stupid question. Now I do know quite a bit about electronics. I studied 2 yrs at a technical school, no degree cause I didn't take all the electives and the upper level math.  So, what purpose do these big caps serve in power supply for your audio system. Basically a cap blocks DC, passes AC, can be used as a filter, etc. But how could it possibly boost your supply amperage or voltage, either of  which being low can cause dim lights, etc. Help an old guy out. I used to wire em to the nearest hot wire, and what amps? AND WE USED TO WALK 10 MILES TO SCHOOL IN THE SNOW!!!! 
bullman96 
Silver - Posts: 294
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2005 at 11:12 PM / IP Logged  
they cant. they can drop/equal out the voltage. "Southside is right on, a cap is NEVER the way to solve the problem of your alternator not being able to keep up with system demand. A stiffening capacitor is designed to help an amplifier maintain power output by dampening the small voltage ripples caused by demand spikes when your system is operating near peak output. A capacitor WILL NOT, under any circumstances, increase your system voltage nor increase system current capacity beyond what the alternator can supply. In every case, if you are installing a system that will demand more amps from your alternator than it can produce, you need to upgrade the alternator.
Would a capacitor help your system? Maybe. Is it necessary? No." quoting dyohn(if you have a problem with me doing so dyohn, please tell me). hes much better at explaining things than i could ever. i read an in depth answer somewhere on this board but dont have time to find it. just use the handy search link and you will find what you are looking for
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 28, 2005 at 12:23 AM / IP Logged  
bullman96 wrote:
A capacitor WILL NOT, under any circumstances, increase your system voltage nor increase system current capacity beyond what the alternator can supply. In every case, if you are installing a system that will demand more amps from your alternator than it can produce, you need to upgrade the alternator.
Most of what you said, I agree with, except this part. While it is true that a cap is NOT MAGIC, it isn't a pit of free energy, it CAN very much so, increase the instantaneous current capability of your power source. The VERY purpose of the capacitor is to be there to fill in the ripple, as you said, but that voltage ripple is filled in by the capacitor providing CURRENT. A capacitor CAN, AND DOES provide current, even though the OVERALL average power consumed by the system can never exceed the maximum continuous power available from the alternator. When the cap is discharged, it will pull a current gulp from the ultimate energy source (the alternator) but that current gulp is self limited by the internal resistance of the capacitor. Also, the energy supplied by the capacitor can NEVER exceed the storage capacity OF the capacitor, in Joules, or one watt for one second. A 1F cap, charged to 12 volts, can supply 1 amp for 12 seconds, or 12 amps for 1 second, or 12000 amps for one millisecond. It is ALL the SAME AMOUNT OF ENERGY stored and released - 12 Joules. The ultimate current capability is limited by the ESR or equivalent series resistance, and the lower the specified ESR, the more current it can suppy, just for a shorter period.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 28, 2005 at 8:29 AM / IP Logged  

Of course you're right, but the key word is instantaneous.

My original answer (quoted above, and no I have no problem with anyone doing that) was aimed at the novice user who is being sold the notion of "your alternator can only put out 80 amps and your subwoofer system draws 140, therefor you need this big honking capacitor."  Too many people are buying stiffening caps thinking they will somehow increase their system voltage and will double their alternator's current capacity.  Caps are being sold to the unsuspecting and ignorant as the magic bullet cure-all for vehicle system electrical issues, mainly because Joe Squid the untrained sales rep at the local Grabass House of Boom stereo shop has been told to sell them to all comers using any means possible.  That and all things chrome and spinning.

Used properly, a stiffening capacitor can enable an amplifier to sustain output peaks by instantaneous discharges supplying current for the system.  But in most cases, they don't help at all and in fact can make things worse for the infamous "hey my lights dim with the bass" problem.

Support the12volt.com
Teamrf 
Gold - Posts: 1,031
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 28, 2005 at 8:40 AM / IP Logged  
I agree with DYohn-a lot of sales people are telling all people buying systems that they need to buy a cap. When in reality if they are getting a big system they need to upgrade the electrical system in the vehicle. Instead of telling them that and the customer asking "Well how much is that and can your installers do it?" and the salesman saying "No." they just throw the "Magic caps" in your face thinking, leaving the customer under the impression that this will fix the dimming light problem.
~The Rookie~
Rookie of the year that is...
Don't let the smoke out of your equiptment..it doesn't go back in.
fastone 
Copper - Posts: 83
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 28, 2005 at 10:54 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks for all the input guys. You pretty much reinforced what I believed myself. The cap is basically a filter, cleaning up the ripple left over from the alternator rectiifcation, as well as a very short term boost in the event of a supply voltage drop or spike for that matter. In other words, a good clean DC.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic