the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Who loves their mid-bass?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 31, 2005 at 2:35 AM / IP Logged  

I used to run a pair of a/d/s/ 336is.2's in my car.  In fact they are still sitting in my closet till I finally sell them.  Although they were great sounding speakers, I can see why you need some midbass.  They really did lack the low end.

BTW, I don't know if you are still considering them, but the Extremis mids will run just fine IB.  Also, I doubt you will have to run a high pass on them since they have so much throw. 

Vas is pretty much meaningless by itself.  You will generally need other parameters to tell what type of enclosure to use.

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

deocder 
Copper - Posts: 138
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2005 at 6:07 PM / IP Logged  
The Extremis woofer is larger than the Morels. The Morels will drop right into my stock location. So unless there is a really good reason to go with the Extremis over the Morels, I'm going to stick with either the H6.1 or the MW-164.
So am I to assume that I do not need to build some sort of enclosure for this speaker. Use the door as the enclosure?
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2005 at 6:32 PM / IP Logged  

I'd go with the Extremis drivers if you have don't have that steep crossover that you would need for the Morels. You also could use the doors enclosure instead of having to build a box inside of it so it would be alot easier in the long run.

It looks like the mounting depth is 3.63 inches so you would probboly have to just make a MDF riser (1/2 inch MDF) so that the Extremis drivers would fit in your doors depth wise.

deocder 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2005 at 9:00 PM / IP Logged  
customsuburb, are you suggesting that the Extremis is a better choice? My issue with the extremis is that it is 7" overall in diameter. I dont think this will fit in my stock location without modification. I am not against modification if the Extremis is the driver I should go with. Also, I've determined the my head unit can be set to run a 18 dB slope.....
I will run my sub from 80 Hz down, the mid-bass from 80 to 350 Hz, and the seperates from 350 Hz and up.
uthinkuknoaudio 
Silver - Posts: 760
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2005 at 9:16 PM / IP Logged  
My Cadence comps are okay when it comes to low frequencies, but you can tell they have a hard time. None at all for frequencyies higher than 40 Hz. Anyways, the CDT Euro series has fantastic midbass. Extremis is great too.
"I don't play games. I play Nakamichi and that for real yo" - Probably some japanese kid said this in the early 80's trying to sell stereo out of his trunk lol.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2005 at 11:25 PM / IP Logged  

uthinkuknoaudio wrote:
Extremis is great too.

You've heard them?  In what kind of installation?

Support the12volt.com
deocder 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2005 at 7:57 PM / IP Logged  
My concern now is that these drivers are 8 ohm. I wonder how they will perform. I was going to use an amp thats rated at 100 W @ 4 ohms. So that would be 50 W @ 8 ohms. And these speakers want to see 150 W rms......crap. I need more power for these speakers, dont I?
uthinkuknoaudio 
Silver - Posts: 760
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2005 at 8:23 PM / IP Logged  
run them parallel. You are going to have two of them i guess, so you would achieve a 4 ohm load, in which you can find an amp that will do 300 @ 4 easy. If you are getting 4 of them, one for each door (i don't know the car), then you would get one monster 4 channel amp that can do 150 x 4 @ 8 ohms, or bridge it and do 300 W x 2 @ 4 ohms. Either way your okay. Give US Amps a call lol. I never heard the extremis, but based on what i've seen of it, and what i've heard, it should be like all other adire products - nothing shy of fantastic
"I don't play games. I play Nakamichi and that for real yo" - Probably some japanese kid said this in the early 80's trying to sell stereo out of his trunk lol.
deocder 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2005 at 10:29 PM / IP Logged  
If I run them in parellel then I will be giving up my stereo imaging for the midbass frequencies. Would that be noticable? I think I will just use my MB Quart 6" from an old component set. That way I can maintain the 4 ohm load as well.
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2005 at 10:39 PM / IP Logged  
Parallel is an awful idea. Midbass should not be mono.
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic