icon

power door lock type?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mikk 
Member - Posts: 35
Member spacespace
Posted: February 05, 2005 at 4:07 PM / IP Logged  
I'm wondering if anyone knows what type of door lock i have in my 94' pontiac bonneville? I'm installing a ultra start 4255. got the remote start working but not the keyless or anything else. when the keyless sort of worked i hit the lock on the remote and doors would unlock. hit unlock button and doors lock tried switching some wires on relay but back to square one for some reason. can anyone help? thanks alot!
mikk
swamprat323 
Gold - Posts: 1,335
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 05, 2005 at 4:55 PM / IP Logged  
POWER LOCK|lt. blue            |+ |either kick panel           |
|     POWER UNLOCK|white               |+ |either kick panel           |
mikk 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 05, 2005 at 11:54 PM / IP Logged  
I got the right wires. wondering how they go on the relay? b/c my vehicle lock system is (+) postive and the wire off the ultra is negative(-). thanks.
mikk
italnpimp59 
Silver - Posts: 427
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 06, 2005 at 12:49 PM / IP Logged  

are the lock and unlock wires only negative pulse or do they alternate with lock/unlock?

profuse007 
Gold - Posts: 2,015
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 06, 2005 at 3:55 PM / IP Logged  
type A (+)
Houston,TX
"The two most common elements in the universe are H+ and stupidity" (Ellison).
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 06, 2005 at 7:31 PM / IP Logged  
power door lock type? -- posted image.
mikk 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 06, 2005 at 8:08 PM / IP Logged  
I seen this diagram on locks page(the12volt) and been going by that but i have it hooked up right and the relays wont trigger at all. press lock/unlock buttons and nothing. wire off the alarm is only puting out .001 volt dont think thats enough to trigger relay - is it?
mikk
jrilla 
Gold - Posts: 1,498
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 06, 2005 at 8:34 PM / IP Logged  
The outputs are 500ma and are designed to trigger relays. .001 volts is exactly what you want because ground is zero volts. I can't imagine why it wouldn't work other than bad unit or installer error.
J Rilla
Owner/Installer
mikk 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 06, 2005 at 10:22 PM / IP Logged  
so thats enough voltage to trigger locks? hmm? it worked prior sorta but when i hit lock(arm) button doors would unlock vice-versa on the unlock button. switched the two alarm wires and it would lock (on arm) doors but not unlock. than wouldnt even lock doors so i'm not sure what happened. tried different relays and still same problem.

power door lock type? -- posted image.
mikk
jrilla 
Gold - Posts: 1,498
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 06, 2005 at 10:35 PM / IP Logged  
You need a ground pulse to trigger the relay. If you were to touch the wire from the negative side of the coil on the relay to a piece of metal on the vehicles chassis, the relay would energize. That is because chassis ground is ZERO volts. So when you say: "Is .001 volts enough to trigger the relay?" you are not asking the right question. The question is about amperage. Amps are current, so if you were to ask a question it would be: "Is 500ma enough to trigger a relay?" (ma is mille-amps). A relay needs about 200ma to trigger a relay. That 200ma is generated by one 12 volt (+) source and one 12 volt (-) source. 12 volt (-) is 0 Volts. I hope this explains things. It sounds like the unlock output is fried.     
J Rilla
Owner/Installer
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic