icon

audioque subs?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bullman96 
Silver - Posts: 294
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2005 at 12:24 PM / IP Logged  
i was visiting http://www.audioque.com/aq/links.htm and was looking at their subs.  they sound like they are pretty good.  has anyone heard them?  are they for spl or for sq or even mixed?  thanks
Pioneer PEH-9660mp
Mb Quart PCE-216 biamped
JL 12W6v2
Sony XM-4026 amp for tweeters
Kenwood KAC-7251 amp for mids
JL-4100 amp for sub
MBZ oe 
Silver - Posts: 385
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2005 at 12:45 PM / IP Logged  

I'd like to hear more about them too. Anybody have a pair running now?

boom, boom, boom boom....
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2005 at 1:14 PM / IP Logged  
I like their stated company philosophy.  Never heard of them, though.  I'd like to find out who builds their speakers for them.
Support the12volt.com
newtone 
Copper - Posts: 62
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2005 at 1:22 PM / IP Logged  
i've got 4 hd 15s ordered but havent recieved yet.  the guy who told me about them is an spl world champion.  at 2004 usaci world finals he tied another guy in his class for first while using 4 kicker l7s then swapped in the audio ques and went up almost 2 db and won the tie breaker!  i wasnt there so i dont know if its a true story but it got me to looking at the subs.  i have run dd subs in my spl, street cruisen, and home theater systems for several years and know the staff at dd very well.  heck i even had to go by their production facility to pick up my custom built subs on my way to 2003 world finals, they have some pretty impressive stuff.  anyway after talking with dd and then calling audio que and talking to the guys there it turns out the audio que subs are built at digital designs.  subs and motor structures look similar to dds but arent supposed to be the same.  the audio que hd is supposed to have a more powerful motor than the dd 9500, and costs about 1/3rd as much.   sorry if this didnt really answer your question and is kinda long winded but im really excited about finding this new company, and really depressed about all the thousands of $ i could have saved if i would have known about audio que sooner.  as soon as i get the subs i'll try'em in a couple of street boom'n and burp boxes and let yall know the results. 
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2005 at 5:22 PM / IP Logged  
DYohn, do they look like a TCSounds to you?
I bet they are NOTHING short of a sound quantity woofer, and little, if any sound quality.
Amusing manufacturer opinions though.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2005 at 7:37 PM / IP Logged  
My impression exactly.
Support the12volt.com
newtone 
Copper - Posts: 62
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2005 at 9:42 PM / IP Logged  

i think you guys are right about that.  it seems like these subs(dd/audioque)are directed at buyers who want to either compete or 'feel' the music.  i dont think that they are of the caliber which most 12 volt audiophiles(that seems sorta like a paradox) are used to.  do you guys think jl w-3, w-6s, or w-7s are considered sq subs?  because ive owned them all, and was a jl fanatic before i was enlightened by the sound of a dd in a properly tuned box.  dds kick the sh!t out of jl, imo.  their suspension and motor structures are so powerful that you can build a poorly(hi) tuned ported enclosure and still get very good low bass extension. and the transients will slap you in the back of the head with authority.  awesome, i love it.  granted i only use moderate to high amp powers ie:4800+ watts street /25kw+competition so most people wont need these subs, and at lower power levels the jls are alot more 'efficient'.  i dont think the average consumer will be disappointed in these 'sound quantity subs'  though.  everyone worth their salt knows that the enclosure plays just as important of a role as the sub.  so if you take a focal 10 and shove it in a crap box you get crap out of it.  ive built boxes for friends using some pretty junky subs and they still sound better than most 'home theater in a box' surround sound set ups.   and you cant tell the difference in 'quality' going 65 mph down the expressway but you can difinately tell the difference in quantity.  i only started posting about the audioque website so that people can see what is out there and make an educated purchase with their hard earned cash.   

btw dont try to write me off as some 'bass head' either, im really more partial to sq, but at competitions judges have their own agendas and can be biased towards certain competitors.  but, the spl meter doesnt lie!

i run alpine/audio control/ mb quart/us amps in my blazer.  i run alpine/audio control/ focal/old skool ppi in my jeep.  so there is some sq in there somewhere. in each of those systems have dd subs too!

hope i havent offended anyone, i value everyone's opinion thats what makes thes forums funaudioque subs? -- posted image.

jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2005 at 2:00 PM / IP Logged  
yes AQ's are DD's in desquise.   I would like to know who you were talking to.   I know that there was one tie breaker in KC this year at finals.   but the winner won by like .3 not 2 db!     I believe it was in super stock 301-900 but could be wrong everything blurs together there.    I do know one thing.    4 dd subs, 4 MMATS amps, 4 yellow tops and a crx = 160.5 on the term lab.   156.6 with the car off for a new world record in super stock 901-1800
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic