icon

Bridge Amp

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mtimmy 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: April 28, 2002 at 3:00 AM / IP Logged  

Hi,.! I am new at here., I have a question for you guys!

I have a sound stream 602 amp., with two subs in a bandpass box.,! running with two channels.,! one for each sub!

I would like to wire them up like either 2ohm or bridge them in to one channel to make the sub punch harder.,!

can you guys please tell me how can I wire it up?

Timmy
alpine24us 
Member - Posts: 15
Member spacespace
Posted: April 28, 2002 at 5:23 AM / IP Logged  

What is the impedance of the sub.

Before you try to rewire your subs you need to break out the owners manual for your amp and find out what ohm load your amp is capable of running. Also known as _#_ohm stable. If it is not 2 ohm stable then you run the risk of damage to your equipment.

If they are 4 ohm single voice coil. They will have only 2 terminals on each speaker ( 1 (+) and 1(-)) Then all you have to do is connect the (+) terminal of sub 1 to (+) terminal of sub 2 and  (-) terminal of sub1 to (-) terminal of sub 2. then connect to one channel (bridged channel) of amp. This will give you the 2 ohm load

If they are 4 ohm dual voice coil they will have 4 terminals on each speaker (2 (+) and 2(-)) so to get a 2 ohm load you must connect (+) to (+) and (-) to (-) on one sub and then go to the amp channel. If the speakers are dual voice coil then do not connect the terminals from speaker to speaker. This will result in a lower than 2 ohm load.

mtimmy 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 28, 2002 at 4:13 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks for your help

I am very new to car audio system!.,

Oh!. okay!., But then!,. My amp is 4 channel stero and 2 channel bridged,!

If I connect it to only one bridged channel, then what to do with the other channel? Then this way., I can't get most of it out of my amp?

I wanted to see If I can bridge the TWO channels together in to ONE channel!....

Is there a way I can do it?..

Timmy
NyxBass 
Silver - Posts: 226
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 29, 2002 at 11:35 AM / IP Logged  

Bridging the channels that are already bridged is a very fats way to let the smoke out of your amplifier (read: turn it itno a paperweight). Each channel can only handle so low of a load before the amp melts itself. Usualy, that is a 2 ohm load per each channels, though some amps, big mono sub amps in particular, can go lower. I would guess your amp is 2 ohm stable per each channel. That means you can hook up two(2) four ohm speakers in parallel on each channel. If you were to hook the two leftover channels to those speakers too, the amp would only "see" 1 ohm per channel, it would really bump for a few minutes, then shutdown or melt. For the most power oput of your amp, you want to bridge 2 channels into each woofer, assuming they are 4 ohm woofers. So what you want to do is this:

Use the instuctions for your amp to figure out how to bridge it. Often, it is the outer-most terminals (1+ and 1-) but not nessecarily. This, in effect, makes 2 channels out of your four. Then, you'll take the + of channel 1, run it to the + of woofer 1. Run  the - of channel 1 to the - of woofer 1. Then the + of channel 2 to the + of woofer 2, and the - of channel 2 to the - of woofer 2.

I am having a hard time figuring out whether you have a 2 or four chanel amp. I'm assuming that by soundstream's numbering and naming system that it is a 2 channel amp. If not, follow the instructions above. If a two channel amp, you can again follow the instructions for bridging the amp, and then you'll have 1 channel. Run channel 1 + to BOTH woofer's + and channel 1 - to BOTH woofer - terminal. That will wire them up in parallel to get an assumed 2 ohm load.

That's all I can think of to tell you right now, come back if you need more help!

/NyxBass
mtimmy 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 29, 2002 at 9:32 PM / IP Logged  

Hum!., I get an better idea on how it works out!.,.,

I have the soundstream 602 which is a 4 channel amp ., 2 channel bridged with 1ohm stable.

Your information helps a lot.,!

thanks very much

Timmy
NyxBass 
Silver - Posts: 226
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 01, 2002 at 10:47 AM / IP Logged  
Any Time! Come back if you have any more questions!
/NyxBass

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic