the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

First Project

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
oonikfraleyoo 
Gold - Posts: 1,069
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 25, 2005 at 11:06 AM / IP Logged  
I would try my hardest to not have a flat spot even that big in an enclosure without MDF supporting it.
Nik
Jeeputer Progress
[|||||||||||-] 90%
Check it out.
Master Asylum 
Silver - Posts: 400
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 25, 2005 at 1:49 PM / IP Logged  
Why would you do that? The rule of thumb post says to see if it gives much or any and if it doesn't it should be fine. The entire piece is very solid (Infact I've used it to hit and hit things and it hasn't been getting hurt at all.) Overall the piece is incredibly sturdy.
1998 Monte Carlo w/
Eclipse CD8454
2xRockford 5.25" Power 2-way T152C
2xRockford 6"x9" Punch 3-way FRC4369
1xMemphis 16-MCH1300 5-channel
2xKicker 12" L5 Solobaric-2 Ohm
oonikfraleyoo 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 25, 2005 at 7:31 PM / IP Logged  
If there was absolutly no way to brace a piece like that, then I would probley let it slide, but I you have a flat spot, and CAN give it a little bracing, then why not? If that piece was in an enclosure and say 7 layers thick, I'm sure it would still vibrate somewhat. Looks nice though. Is there a purpose, or where you just messing around?
Nik
Jeeputer Progress
[|||||||||||-] 90%
Check it out.
Master Asylum 
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 25, 2005 at 9:46 PM / IP Logged  

Well it was originally a screw around. But I'm gonna create a similar piece and then do a tin and then fg the pieces to together. Smooth it out a little, then apply a carpet for the kittens to tear up. :) You'd be amazed at how many stupid things like that I intend to do. Like those stupid $300 cat tower things, f that, time for some FG, wood, and carpet. Will cost me at MOST I'd say $150, 50% off, for my time, and experience, damn, that sucks, not. Anyways...

Also concerning the bracing, I'd ideally always provide  bracing when I could(Simple guideline I've got set in my head for an enclosure.) Though the vibrating I'd have to see, this thing is fairly difficult to bend with my arms. (Given I'm not applying full strength since I'm trying to use it for future and don 't wanna mess it up) but still, that's a good amount of poundage.

1998 Monte Carlo w/
Eclipse CD8454
oonikfraleyoo 
Posted: February 26, 2005 at 1:19 AM / IP Logged  
If you really wanna see it I'll give you an idea of how. You can decide whether or not to take the time to do it. Cut a hole in the side of a speaker box, and then glass that sucker on the inside covering the hole. It shouldn't change the box volume, but I'm almost positive it will alter the sound.
Nik
Jeeputer Progress
[|||||||||||-] 90%
Check it out.
Master Asylum 
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 27, 2005 at 12:53 PM / IP Logged  

Ok update... I have started the next stage of the project, and whew, I tried the mat. I am not sure if I really like it, we'll see tho. I do but I don't, I'll see how it turns out I guess, just seems to have been a bit of a problem so far. I've also decided I like less hardener than more (I'm a slow person right now, might change when I get better/faster.)

Also, any tips on handling sharp curves, like that of a tin can? Given it wouldn't be so bad if both sides were flat, but the roundness of the can is making the bend kinda fisty. Found that I've had to tear it to get it to appreciate the bend more. (Which mat tears so much easier than cloth, like, I don't think I could accurately tear the cloth like I can the mat.) Still liking the cloth more though, less mess. I guess it'd help if I had a project room or a garage of my own that I didn't need to worry about mess so much. Off to get more brushes and maybe some acetone stuff.

Also, what is a good list of wood working tools for MDF enclosuers and FG projects. (I need the MDF enclosure first though in priority because I need to build standard enclosures before I touch FG projects.) Also, I was wondering, if you made an enclosure out of MDF and made the entire thing a big ball(which is great for pressure strength) would it provide any musical problems or would it just be a pretty strong set of wall? (I'm thinking make a ball enclosure then find a way to sink it into a FG piece so it has good structure against bad vibrations but still can have the appeal of flat surfaces.) If this is illogical, I'm content with MDF with FG over it to take care of the vibration problem.

1998 Monte Carlo w/
Eclipse CD8454
oonikfraleyoo 
Posted: February 27, 2005 at 2:04 PM / IP Logged  
I don't understand. Did you mean to say FG ball or MDF ball? If you meant MDF, please explain. I can't picture and MDF ball. I've wanted to make a spherical enclosure for a while now but have never gotten around to it. I have a real good idea of how it could be done though.
Nik
Jeeputer Progress
[|||||||||||-] 90%
Check it out.
Master Asylum 
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 27, 2005 at 3:20 PM / IP Logged  

FG. MDF would be possible, it just wouldn't be drastically well rounded(something that could be fixed with a layer of fg and some rounding applied) But I'd rather avoid MDF (if possible, like to keep minimal weight limits)

1998 Monte Carlo w/
Eclipse CD8454
Master Asylum 
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 01, 2005 at 7:15 AM / IP Logged  

Well the tin project failed. (Didn't release, destroyed project and tin trying to get it out.) Oh well. Tried another project with a rounded jar just to see how I like the mat still. Kinda liking it for this application(curves). I was impressed with the strength though, especially on the tin project. 3 layers, I tried beating the piss outta it with my little pos razor knife handle, man, all it did was make a couple white spots that could be fixed by a layer of FG.... That is crazy strong for 3 layers on a flat surface.

Kinda bored of this worthless projects now, I wanna really get into my trunk but the weather(snow, wtf, go away) is stopping that now.

Wanting to sound dampen my trunk then FG a casing to smooth it out, not sure yet how I'll attach it to the trunk well without having speakers or any holes in it. If I can just work on the project long enough with it off I'll go ahead and attach then FG over, or maybe leave a 6.5 hole and make a cover or something in case I want the speakers later.

1998 Monte Carlo w/
Eclipse CD8454
Page of 4

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic