icon

Bypassing Stock Amp in 95 Grand Cherokee

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
hott nikkels 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2005 at 12:28 AM / IP Logged  
I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to "bypass" the stock amplifier in the 95 Grand Cherokee, the Inifinity Gold setup. I just recently bought an aftermarket head unit and it works fine but the speakers putting out any sound. So I think I need to bypass the stock amp as I heard that was necessary. If I bypass the stock amp do I need to rewire the speakers to the headunit instead of to the amp... or what?
Thanks
oonikfraleyoo 
Gold - Posts: 1,069
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2005 at 8:30 AM / IP Logged  
I have an 01 and I didn't bypass the amp to begin with. It sounded fine. The only way to bypass it would be to yank it.
Nik
Jeeputer Progress
[|||||||||||-] 90%
Check it out.
tech460 
Copper - Posts: 118
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2005 at 10:07 AM / IP Logged  
The reason you are not getting sound is probably because you are not putting power to the amp turn on wire. Are you using a harness? If so, is there a blue wire that states power antenna? Also, if you want to bypass the amp Metra makes a bypass harness, 70-6513. Bypassing will sound better if you have a 50 watt per channel or higher radio, IMO.
hott nikkels 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 16, 2005 at 12:45 AM / IP Logged  
No I'm not using a wiring harness I didn't understand how to use one so I was just connecting the wires from the Headunit diagram and the wiring diagram from this site.
tech460 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 16, 2005 at 9:34 AM / IP Logged  

You need to put power from your radio's turn on wire to the wire in the vehicle that states either power antenna or amp turn on. If you do not know which wire that is then either put it back to factory and purchase the proper wiring harness or bypass the amp with the proper wiring harness. Post back and I will give you that info if you like.

hott nikkels 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 16, 2005 at 7:15 PM / IP Logged  
im just going to have to connect the wires together because the wiring harness doesnt work with my alpine deck... plus i cut the connector part off from my stock deck anyways lol so im just gonna have to connect the wires, which is ok. do i use the diagram off this site? i dont remember seeing an amp turn on but i think i remember seeing a power antenna... i want to use the stock amp and setup if i can. like i said the deck gets power and reads cds and everything its just the speakers are getting any signal so... lol im pretty much stereo illeterate but if i get advice and instruction i can do it... thanks.
oonikfraleyoo 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 16, 2005 at 7:39 PM / IP Logged  
When you removed the factory wire harness, did you use all of the wires? Are there any left over? I believe it may be the GREEN/ Red wire.
Nik
Jeeputer Progress
[|||||||||||-] 90%
Check it out.
oonikfraleyoo 
Posted: February 16, 2005 at 7:41 PM / IP Logged  
That wire should be connected to the blue wire of your HU. But double check me first cause this is just from memory.
Nik
Jeeputer Progress
[|||||||||||-] 90%
Check it out.
hott nikkels 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 17, 2005 at 2:23 AM / IP Logged  
okay will check it at first light tomorrow... i have a friend coming over tomorrow who knows a bit more and will help me set this thing up ...
tech460 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 17, 2005 at 10:22 AM / IP Logged  
If you read my last post I stated to use a wire that stated amp turn on or power antenna. On your vehicle that wire does double duty so yes, power antenna is the wire you need to engage the amp.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic