icon

Capacitors

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Edicius 
Copper - Posts: 90
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 16, 2005 at 5:57 PM / IP Logged  
well, that's what i was originally going to do, i just like to make extra sure before i do things so that i don't waste my money. if an alternator was unnecessary, then i could spend that $460.00 somewhere else.
Captanham 
Silver - Posts: 365
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 16, 2005 at 9:08 PM / IP Logged  
caps do help, they wont solve major problems, if you are going to buy multiple caps there are cap blocks that have 30 -50 farads for a few hundred bucks, like 300 or so, which if you buy regular priced caps at about 75 bucks a farad, that makes a lot more sence, the alternator is definetly the way to go, but if your alt is keeping up fine, then a cap will help a little, but it really wont be THAT noticeable, they do help, but it's not going to be like a 4 db difference, and honestly most people can't really tell much of a difference with only 1 or 2 farads, so i'd worry more about the alternator and battery setup before caps, and also, think about your power wire, i don't know what you are running, but there is a huge difference in running a good 1/0 gauge versus a litle 8 ga. wire, depending on your system size you might not need to go crazy like 0, but a 4 or 2 is a good choice if your doing anything over a good 1000 watt amp, just my $ .02
Bad Boys Customs
    audio - video - security
If you use it. Suport it. Donate to the 12 volt!
Captanham 
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 16, 2005 at 9:17 PM / IP Logged  
and i run an audio store, the one thing i have customers bitching about all the time is this "why don't you stock any capacitors",, really? because there are about 5 things that should be on your list before caps, and most people don't even get to number 3 unless they are DEAD serious about stereo's, i have put a few HO alternators in cars, and it really does help a lot, even just a little extra 40 amps or 50 amps will make the world of a difference, caps would help for competitions, for that one quick burp, but after that,, you have two things draining on that alt, the cap AND the amp. sorry about going on and on like that, so really, the uses for capacitors, a volt meter, some pretty crome sh*t to have back there, and more flashy lights, +10 points to your "fast and furious"ness, really doesn't do much for the audio tho,
Bad Boys Customs
    audio - video - security
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 16, 2005 at 11:13 PM / IP Logged  
Hey captanham, how 'bout some SENTENCES?!?! What the HELL were you trying to say? I can't make heads or tails of it! If you want to help, then do so, but please use some proper grammar and punctuation.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
Captanham 
Posted: February 16, 2005 at 11:15 PM / IP Logged  
haha my bad man, i'm really bad about rambling on when i type. i will try to use some more punctuation, but no promises. seriously tho, haha, you'll understand it, just read it a few times, haha.. sorry. later folks
Bad Boys Customs
    audio - video - security
oonikfraleyoo 
Gold - Posts: 1,069
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 16, 2005 at 11:20 PM / IP Logged  
I have seen one good use for capacitors. One of the local hydro kids had the ingenious idea of a 20 farad cap on each of his pumps. It increased his bounce by like 3 inches. Didn't make his system beat any harder though.
Nik
Jeeputer Progress
[|||||||||||-] 90%
Check it out.
Page of 4

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic