Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
exsodius 
Member - Posts: 34
Member spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2005 at 9:56 PM / IP Logged  

iskidoo wrote:
exsodius wrote:
In norway parking lights is 2 little bulbs with white light inside the headlights, and the rear red driving lights. When all these 4 bulbs are lit, we call them parking lights.
What's wrong with just using those lights? Is that just one connection to light all of them?

No its two circuit. And another thing we have in norway by law is something we call automatic driving lights. So when i start the car the headlights automaticly turns on. I dont ever have to use the light switch, exept at night when i want my long beams on.

So i cant use the "norwegian parking lights" because the automatic driving lights turns on when i only connect to the "norwegian parking lights".

iskidoo 
Silver - Posts: 1,040
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2005 at 10:11 PM / IP Logged  
wrote:
So i cant use the "norwegian parking lights" because the automatic driving lights turns on when i only connect to the "norwegian parking lights".
If it's only to indicate that the signal was recieved by the remote then why not just use the norwegian PK Lights? How many diodes do you have? you could use more than 2 if you have them.
exsodius 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2005 at 10:19 PM / IP Logged  

iskidoo wrote:
wrote:
If it's only to indicate that the signal was recieved by the remote then why not just use the norwegian PK Lights? How many diodes do you have? you could use more than 2 if you have them.

I have two 1 amps. But is there a reason for avoiding the turning indicators? Here all cars use them for their alarms and remotes for indication of arm/disarm, lock/unlock.

iskidoo 
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2005 at 10:28 PM / IP Logged  
No reason not to use them. I'm just trying to keep you from burning up diodes. If you can get a few higher amperage diodes (like 6amp) you'll be better off and they won't get hot. I asked if you had more 1 amp diodes because you could have twisted like 3 together(band facing same direction)
and used it as one for each light circuit for a total of 6 diodes. The 3 twisted together on each end would have given you 3 amps for each wire thus preventing them from getting too hot. Anyways, either get a few more 1 amp diodes, or a few higher amperage diodes you should be fine. Have a good night.
Best of luck, Steve
exsodius 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2005 at 11:17 PM / IP Logged  

iskidoo wrote:
No reason not to use them. I'm just trying to keep you from burning up diodes. If you can get a few higher amperage diodes (like 6amp) you'll be better off and they won't get hot. I asked if you had more 1 amp diodes because you could have twisted like 3 together(band facing same direction)
and used it as one for each light circuit for a total of 6 diodes. The 3 twisted together on each end would have given you 3 amps for each wire thus preventing them from getting too hot. Anyways, either get a few more 1 amp diodes, or a few higher amperage diodes you should be fine. Have a good night.
Best of luck, Steve

Ok, i see. Yes they will burn up. 3 together its a paralell connection you are talking about. I would really love to get it work. I think i will go and buy two 6 amp diodes tomorrow. I am pretty exited if they will get hot too.

Also the seco-larm mounting insruktions say that "do not connect to headlights, it may cause a fire".

I will report back when i have tried this. 

Thank you very much.

And have a good night.

exsodius 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 16, 2005 at 4:11 PM / IP Logged  

So today i bought two 6 amps P600M diodes. I used a soldering shrinking plug at each side of the diodes. Worked great! Did not use any tape to isolate as the shrinking went all the way into the diode.

Just installed them on my 3.9 amps current circuit. Result, now after 15 seconds with all my turning inticator lamps on, diodes still get hot. But not as hot as the 1 amp diodes i used before. No smoke from them now :) So i now have diodes 6 times as powerful as the first ones.

So is it so that all diodes get warm like resistors? Is this normal.

I think i am on the safe side now that my diodes has a over capasity of (6 -3.9amp=2.1amp over capasity)

iskidoo 
Posted: February 16, 2005 at 4:48 PM / IP Logged  
cut the wire before the diodes and the lights. Put your meter in line to measure exactly how much current is flowing in that circuit. Seems to me that it might be more current (amperage) than your calculations figured out to be. I've never had to use diodes on the lights before either so maybe they do get that hot.
exsodius 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 16, 2005 at 5:06 PM / IP Logged  

iskidoo wrote:
cut the wire before the diodes and the lights. Put your meter in line to measure exactly how much current is flowing in that circuit. Seems to me that it might be more current (amperage) than your calculations figured out to be. I've never had to use diodes on the lights before either so maybe they do get that hot.

My calculations was based on looking over all the bulbs wattage. But if there is something wrong it could be more current.

A friend of mine said diodes are like resistors they do get warm. I don't thm i can use my multimeter for that, i think i must have a ampere meter?

mito57 
Member - Posts: 46
Member spacespace
Posted: February 16, 2005 at 7:46 PM / IP Logged  

Diodes have a voltage drop of about 0.8 volts. So if your current is 3.9 amp, you are disipating 3.12 Watts. This is heat that will warm up your diodes. So some diode heating is normal.

KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 16, 2005 at 11:20 PM / IP Logged  

http://www.diodes.com/index.php

All the answers and MORE........

Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic