icon

1996 Toyota Avalon, Aftermarket Head Unit

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
rsm425 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: February 17, 2005 at 7:20 PM / IP Logged  

I have a 1996 Toyota avalon with 6 speakers, AM/FM/Casette with factory (looks factory) CD player.  They have went out and the plug on the back of radio is different than the installation harness thats available.  Does anyone know what wires are what?  Please help if possible!

Scott

forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 17, 2005 at 8:22 PM / IP Logged  
Snif, snif....smells like BOSE and a full system rewire. A installer in Nanaimo,BC, just called me about the exact same vehicle, just a 95. The harness is totally different and IIRC there is no harnes that integrates into it. Do you have speaker impedence showing in the molex?
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
rsm425 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 17, 2005 at 9:11 PM / IP Logged  

I found an old post on here that said it has an amplifier because it is 6 speaker and it listed this  adapter  metra  70-8112 to be used for it.  I checked Metra's website and it says thats what its for.   Any ideas?

SCott

rsm425 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 17, 2005 at 9:12 PM / IP Logged  
one more thing it has an equalizer built in.
tech460 
Copper - Posts: 118
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 20, 2005 at 10:52 AM / IP Logged  
70-8112 works for those HK systems.
SilkSurgeon 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: February 20, 2005 at 1:29 PM / IP Logged  

It sounds like you have a factory amplifier.  You have two options you can

One, use the amplifier integrator harness (70-8112).  That harness has RCA's for the speaker wires so you will have to plug them in to your front/rear outputs on the back of our CD or cassette deck.  If you only have one set of outputs you will need 2M-1F (two male one female) Y-Adaptors.  If you only have one set of outputs on the back of your deck you will lose either your faderm balance or both.

Two, locate the factory amplifier and unplug it, effectively bypassing the amplifier.  In many toyotas it's right behind the factory radio.  when you find the factory amp, there should be two plugs going into it and one coming out of it.  You want to disconnect the two plugs coming out of the amp.  These two plugs are the standard Toyotta plugs and should work with the Metra 70-1761 harness.

Out of the two options I just mention I would reccomend the 2nd if at all possible.  Being that your car is a '96 that amp is close to 10 years old, and by bypassing it now you can eliminate having to troubleshoot it down the line. In addition if your amplifier is bad now, then you will not want to integrate into a non-working amplifier!

tech460 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 20, 2005 at 1:30 PM / IP Logged  
Option two is true for some Toyota's but not all. Unfortunately, you cannot do that option on a Avalon. You have to either have to integrate the amp using the 70-8112 or bypass the amp by either running new wires to the speakers or to the output of the factory amp which is behind the glove box up high to the right. Not very easy to get to. If you do decide to bypass the amp make sure you keep it plugged in as power runs to the amp first then to the radio. Unplugging it would take power away from the radio harness.
SilkSurgeon 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 20, 2005 at 1:33 PM / IP Logged  

tech460 wrote:
Option two is true for some Toyota's but not all. Unfortunately, you cannot do that option on a Avalon. You have to either have to integrate the amp using the 70-8112 or bypass the amp by either running new wires to the speakers or to the output of the factory amp which is behind the glove box up high to the right. Not very easy to get to. If you do decide to bypass the amp make sure you keep it plugged in as power runs to the amp first then to the radio. Unplugging it would take power away from the radio harness.

Very good point I was even think about that as I was posting.  Because I know the Avalons have that funky dash I figured their wiring would be funky as well LOL.  Adding on to what you're saying if the amp is not behind the radio, then option two will not work and as you say the car does need to be rewired, which might be a pain but I'd do it, and get it out of the way so that when you want to replace a deck in the future you don't have to cross your fingers and hope the factory amplifier works.

tech460 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 20, 2005 at 1:42 PM / IP Logged  
I agree with you 100% Silk Surgeon as factory amps are garbage. If at all possible always bypass factory junk, especially 10 year old junk. I wish everybody would keep that mentallity as these radios out nowadays are extremely powerful for radios and usually better and cleaner than factory amps. There are exceptions to the rule though. Sometimes time and money do not permit or the factory amp may be better than the radios amp.
SilkSurgeon 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 20, 2005 at 2:09 PM / IP Logged  

tech460 wrote:
I agree with you 100% Silk Surgeon as factory amps are garbage. If at all possible always bypass factory junk, especially 10 year old junk. I wish everybody would keep that mentallity as these radios out nowadays are extremely powerful for radios and usually better and cleaner than factory amps. There are exceptions to the rule though. Sometimes time and money do not permit or the factory amp may be better than the radios amp.

Absolutely.  and I think a good example is the Monsoon system found in many GM's and VW's now while I may not be a fan of the car Maker, the Monsoon system can sound pretty nice but I find that majority of factory amps are just a headache and an extra component to rewire or bypass.

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic