icon

1996 Toyota Avalon, Aftermarket Head Unit

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
rsm425 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: February 20, 2005 at 7:52 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks guys!  Here's where i'm at so far.  The amp is behind the glovebox.  I hooked the new radio up but it would not come on just like the factory radio did.  So i hooked the acc wire to the 12v batt wire to see if all was working there and it came on but there was no sound out of the speakers.  So I am assuming that the amp is bad since it powers the radio?  I have checked all the fuses in the fuse block under dash and even under the hood to make sure that wasn't the problem.  If it is bad what can i do? 

Thanks

geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 20, 2005 at 9:21 PM / IP Logged  
Rewire it from scratch.  Grab constant and accessory from the ignition harness, ground to the chassis, and run new speaker wires to all locations.  You could probably get power and speakers at the amp, but why not do it right?
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
rsm425 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 20, 2005 at 9:27 PM / IP Logged  
Thinkin thats what i'm gonna have to do.  Can anyone steer me in the right direction on finding a wiring schematic?
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 20, 2005 at 9:52 PM / IP Logged  

try here for power, then rewire all your speakers.

https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/detail.asp?info=alarm&year=1995-97&make=Toyota&model=Avalon&ID=18945&type=Alarm

My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
tech460 
Copper - Posts: 118
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2005 at 10:52 AM / IP Logged  
There is no  power on one of your two power wires because you either accidentaly blew a fuse wiring the radio up or the wiring harness is defective. Solve that and you should get your radio to power up. Now as far as the amp not coming on, that is most likely due the blue wire in the harness not being hooked up. Is yours?
rsm425 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2005 at 11:09 AM / IP Logged  

The thing is is that nothing was unhooked.  The left side speakers quite working on FM but worked with cassettes and AM the everything went dead after a while.  Is there any "hidden" fuses?  The book says that there is one behind the passenger kick panel but there's nothing there but a wiring junction box.

tech460 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2005 at 11:26 AM / IP Logged  
Well, that changes things a bit. Knowing that, which does not make sense, I would definitely not use the amp. Run new wires to the speakers and either inspect the speakers with a multimeter and use them or install new speakers.
rsm425 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2005 at 2:33 PM / IP Logged  
Well i guess the easiest way to find the speaker wires comin out of the amp and splice into them.  Is it the really big plug that is the output or the smaller one?
tech460 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2005 at 2:38 PM / IP Logged  
I do not remember but I can tell you that is is more difficult going to the amp and bypassing it there than it is to just run them straight to the speakers. The amp is hard to get to and the wires are real short. Also, you will be playing the guessing game with speaker polarity if you do not have the schematics.
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic