icon

gm factory radio bass loss

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
new2thegane 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2005 at 11:17 PM / IP Logged  

Perhaps this has been answered already, but I could no find it via a search of the topics.

I've installed an amp and subwoofers in my 2005 chevy cobalt. The problem is that when the volume is turned up past a certain point, the bass signal seems to be automaticaly attenuated??

Has anyone found a way of over-throwing this problem? I dont partucilarly want to install a new head unit. To get one with all the features that this one has (MP3/CD player, RDS Radio, XM built in) would cost a great deal more than I can afford.

Thanks in advance

JD

stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 20, 2005 at 1:21 AM / IP Logged  
From what speaker wires are you picking up the signal for the amp, and are you using a line output converter?
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 20, 2005 at 8:27 AM / IP Logged  

stevdart hit it.  It sounds to me that you grabbed signal after the factory amplifiers.  I've read discussions about this on the impala forums somewhere.  The owners simply bypassed the factory amps, and all was good.  GM decided to attenuate bass when the volume is cranked to help prevent speakers from blowing.

My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
tech460 
Copper - Posts: 118
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 20, 2005 at 10:48 AM / IP Logged  
GM and most manufactuers have been doing this for years on amplified and non amplified vehicles for years. Some manufactuers attenuate more than others with GM being the biggest culprit. The best way I know to compensate for this is to have a gain knob in the front and keep the gain on the amp and the LOC up fairly high. This way you can turn the gain knob down at low levels or crank it up at high levels. Keep in mind this is only a band aid to a solutionless problem. You are compensating for frequency loss and not gain loss.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 20, 2005 at 10:56 AM / IP Logged  

tech460 wrote:
The best way I know to compensate for this is to have a gain knob in the front and keep the gain on the amp and the LOC up fairly high. This way you can turn the gain knob down at low levels or crank it up at high levels. Keep in mind this is only a band aid to a solutionless problem. You are compensating for frequency loss and not gain loss.

And a sure way to blow your speakers if you don't know exactly what you're doing.  I think this is a bad idea.  Gain is not a volume control and using it as one can cause your amp to clip very easily.  The only way to compensate for the bass atteunuation circuit is to turn it off (which can be done by the dealer in some vehicles, specifically Ford.  Don't know about GM) or replace the HU.  If the cut occurs in the amps as suggested above, bypasss them.  I suspect however that the EQ and volume controls (many cars also have speed-sensitive volume controls, another royal pain) actually are in the HU, but again I am not familiar with the new GM setups.  But please, set your gain properly and LEAVE it there.

Support the12volt.com
tech460 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 20, 2005 at 11:10 AM / IP Logged  

Yes I agree with you DYohn and I could have went deeper in my post to explain that but I was just trying to give a band aid to a solutionless problem. I believe strongly in replacing the radio as what you start off with is what you end up with. Unfortunately, he does not want to do that. Please keep in mind that if my solution is done right it works right. I have done this many, many times with complete satisfaction and no blown speakers. It takes finnesse to get that happy medium.

Final words; Don't do my solution unless you are  experienced in gain setting.

new2thegane 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: February 22, 2005 at 2:33 PM / IP Logged  

Thank you all sooo much for your advice. I "grabbed" the signal just before the rear channel speakers. I did use a line level converter. I wanted to use the fronts, but there wasnt enough room behind the HU to install it. I thought perhaps the rear speaker channel was the problem. Im not aware whether or not there is a factory amp installed. I was under the impressino the only amplification being done was from the head unti itself. 

It would seem that you are correct in the fact that it is a solutionless problem though. Perhaps changing the unit out will be the onyl way to go?

tech460 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 22, 2005 at 4:21 PM / IP Logged  
I would highly recommend removing that factory radio. Like I stated earlier, what you start off with is what you end up with. Installing an aftermarket radio in that vehicle will not only solve your problem but also give you a wider frequency as the factories are frequency limited and if you get a high powered radio like 50 or more per channel also give you a cleaner sound and be more dynamic. Definitely the way to go. 
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 22, 2005 at 4:34 PM / IP Logged  

Alomst all CD player's internal amps output from 16 to 18 watts continuous per channel or less. The only exception would be something like Alpine's V-drive built in amp or the Class T digital amp in one of Panasonic's head unit. If you bought a good quality head unit you would get a cleaner signal from its preamp outputs.

tech460 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 22, 2005 at 4:56 PM / IP Logged  

What I meant by 50 or so per channel is that most radios that wrongly use that max.  spec (RMS is usually around 18 or so),  are extremely high powered for a deck. It's seems there is a big difference when you step over 50 or so per channel. The Pioneer, Panasonic, JVC, Kenwood, and Sony all seem to sound so much more powerful than there previous 45 watt per channel siblings, IMO. Technology I suppose (MOSFET outputs and such) . But anyway, that's what I meant. 

Also, if you get a deck with sub out that would give you control over the sub. Definite plus.

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic